When Do You Have "too Many" Dogs?

wings

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I currently have 3 and am going to 4 at the end of the year. All of the same breed, medium sized and I find them easy to look after. I wouldn't want any more then 4.

Ideally I would love only 2 just for ease of going places but I wouldn't trade any of them for anything.

I compete in dog sports and have one retired, one on the verge of retiring (probably will when I get my new pup) and my main competing girl.

So usually need to take all 3 when competing with two so that's why I want an even number.

Edited by Sayreovi

I'm not even sure if that's a man or a woman. :) With a hair-do like that, who can tell. :) :) Or is it a hat?

Looks like an old style French Priest to me

:)

So you reckon it's a bloke. Whatever he/she is, he/she has good taste in dogs. :) Probably a tribe of servants, too, to look after them. :)

Which brings up the point that many have made.... there's a lot of time, effort and hard work in looking after dogs well. That, in itself, is a decider.

Below is the number of dogs I'd like to have.

But, I agree with the list of responsibilities and considerations that showdog posted. So, can't have them all.

Tibbies, of course. :) click to enlarge:

post-3304-0-22871800-1393475515_thumb.jpg

This is the picture I terrify my OH (and my JRT ; p) with lol!

I tell him I'll get a similar tibbie pack when we retire and he won't even notice new ones :)

Until the are having a tibbie stubborn strop of course ; X

I had 3 for quite a while, then 4. Now I have 2.

The three were easy as they all got along very well, were at training with me twice a week (taken into classes whilst instructing) and usually an extra day spent on SAR or running with other dogs.

I won't go over 2 now, 3 at a stretch, but I'd like to spend some time living interstate in the future so they need to be good travelers and smallish. :)

ETA: How many is too many is an individual question, but having had dogs on heart failure meds, liver cancer meds and arthritis meds and supplements, I am mindful of the expense of elderly dogs. I believe they all should have supps and arthritis meds if needed and my old dogs often do much more swimming as they age, in warm water so there is expense within that as well.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

All good points, thanks :thumbsup:

Do you think the size of the dogs can make a difference? I've been looking after a friend's rottie (who I do adore) but I do often think I could have about 5 mini dachies to 1 rottie and no one would notice the difference.

I've had 4 greyhounds at once, they all fitted inside the house :-)

But, I agree with the list of responsibilities and considerations that showdog posted. So, can't have them all.

I tell him I'll get a similar tibbie pack when we retire and he won't even notice new ones :)

Want to push the OH over the edge, TT?

Flash this one at him, too. Cheaper by the dozen. Click, enlarge.

post-3304-0-62209200-1393505070_thumb.jpg

Note to self: Got to read showdog's list of responsibilities again. Or stop looking at these pics.

Edited by mita

We currently have 4.

Three are mine - whippets, one is my husbands - working BC. Mind kind of all run as one. However if I need to take out just one I find it easier having three as I can leave two behind instead of one whingey arse.

Two are being trained for dog sports training etc, one is retired and just has a play.

The working BC may be trained in agility etc to give his OCD mind something to do, but I need to have the time which I really don't have right now.

No more dogs for me, I have enough right now

Want to push the OH over the edge, TT?

Flash this one at him, too. Cheaper by the dozen. Click, enlarge.

post-3304-0-62209200-1393505070_thumb.jpg

Note to self: Got to read showdog's list of responsibilities again. Or stop looking at these pics.

Aw!! The bottom right one looks like Chew-man!

I think a pride of tibbies would be easy......more like having cats.....

Much as I love having all the dogs I've got now, when they pass away I dont plan on replacing them. I found 2 was a great number for me, I could take them everywhere with me then. We used to go on camping holidays and lots of adventures. With 5 some always have to stay at home. :(

Kirislin, we are also not getting any more dogs. I will possibly get another cat though.

We've only had 3 max in recent years apart from the rescues coming and going, some of whom stayed many, many months. Now we have two, Boof and Olivia. I think it's easier with just the two but Monte was a high needs dog so that could be why I am finding it easier with him now gone.

We have 5: chihuahua, shihtzu, shihtzu mix, daxi cross staffy and a boxer. It can be a little hard at times (especially as we rent so come inspection day we have to ship 3 off to my parents) and moving forward I would never own as many. I think 2-3 is the perfect number but this also depends on which breeds, how much room you have and your lifestyle.

I had 4 at one stage plus 3 cats and 2 ponies. That did seem rather chaotic but it was fun. Prior to that I always had 2. Now I could almost drop to one as it is easier to take them around and go on hols. But I also work from home. If I was going into an office I would always have 2. 3 was good because you could take one out and leave 2 at home. But then I never had issues taking out just one when I had my original 2, it is just that the current 2 were part of the bigger pack so hadn't been left alone.

Finances do have to play a part too. Amber is pretty expensive to look after with all her meds and special food.

OH & I are planning to travel round AUS in our caravan & this is very doable with our 2 dogs as they both have caravaned since littley's but with anymore there just wouldn't be enough room. As I have both of ours sleep in the van with us of a night in their beds the floor space is very limited. Some folk's have there's sleep in the annex but I couldn't do that as I'd worry they may need me to get up to them during the night & I wouldn't hear them from inside. Also worry they could be stolen very easily from the annex as it is very accessible.

So I think the number of dogs you have can be also determined by your life's circumstances. Even if I could manage another dog then one of them would have to be boarded while we are away & miss out on our adventures. Wouldn't be comfortable with myself doing that :)

All good points, thanks :thumbsup:

Do you think the size of the dogs can make a difference? I've been looking after a friend's rottie (who I do adore) but I do often think I could have about 5 mini dachies to 1 rottie and no one would notice the difference.

I've had 4 greyhounds at once, they all fitted inside the house :-)

Greyhounds are just like big whippets so they don't count :laugh: The one I'm getting shocks everyone by climbing into my lap and then "shrinking" to fit. I'm sure that's a familiar sight to a lot of the hound people but for me it still cracks me up!

Thanks everyone, a lot of good things raised and a few I hadn't thought of. Will be very interesting to see how things change around here as the dog family increases.

We went from two dogs to one a month ago and, sad as I am to have lost Indiana, I quite like only having one dog. If it were up to me I'd stay a single dog family for a while, but this is a democracy (of sorts) and I've been out voted.

At the end of March we'll start looking for a rescue dog to be my son's first pet of his own. At the same time we'll be looking for a couple of guinea pigs for my daughter to avoid a mutiny!

OH & I are planning to travel round AUS in our caravan & this is very doable with our 2 dogs as they both have caravaned since littley's but with anymore there just wouldn't be enough room. As I have both of ours sleep in the van with us of a night in their beds the floor space is very limited. Some folk's have there's sleep in the annex but I couldn't do that as I'd worry they may need me to get up to them during the night & I wouldn't hear them from inside. Also worry they could be stolen very easily from the annex as it is very accessible.

So I think the number of dogs you have can be also determined by your life's circumstances. Even if I could manage another dog then one of them would have to be boarded while we are away & miss out on our adventures. Wouldn't be comfortable with myself doing that :)

Sounds fantastic BCC travelling around Aus I would love to do that :thumbsup: