A Good Breed For Someone With Anxiety?

kiwifeathers

Hi all, this is KF's friend speaking. I'm borrowing her account so I might speak personally, rather than relay the info through her. If I repeat anything she has already said, or sound a bit jumbled, forgive me, this sort of thing is rather nerve wracking!

First and foremost, the dog is something to help me feel safe in my home at night, and as a companion to me. During the day, my home is my safe haven and I can truly be myself and relaxed here. When I go to bed however I feel tense, unsafe and feel like someone is going to break in or otherwise something bad will happen, and thus have trouble sleeping. I usually have to have music or a movie or something playing just to relax enough to sleep and even then it takes a long time. I cope with the lack of sleep by taking catnaps during the day currently. I think having a large dog at home to sleep near me will really help me feel much safer and sooth my anxiety. If a loud bark, or taking one look at the dog through the fence would be enough to send someone packing more's the better, but that's not necessarily a requirement. This is actually a fairly safe town, but anxiety isn't rational (which is extremely frustrating when your mind knows better!) so the feelings persist regardless. As a companion, the dog will be my primary source of companionship. I have difficulty making friends with people and don't really go out unless I have to (although I am trying to get better with this, taking baby steps like going to the pool once a week) so I don't see a huge amount of other people outside of visits with my few close friends or family.

The house is fairly big, and has about a quarter-acre section with 6-foot, solid wooden fences. Dog would have access inside and outside during the day and would sleep inside. The climate here is pretty seasonal, but I don't think that matters too much with the dog being allowed inside?

I'd really like to raise a pup myself, though I do recognize a couple disadvantages to this, so I'm not totally putting the right adult dog out of contention. I don't want a wire-coated dog that needs hand-stripping or something like a poodle with a huge amount of grooming needed (although I love standard poodles!), nor do I want something that is a heavy shedder, although one big seasonal drop if the rest of the year isn't too bad might be ok? The prickly coat of Shar-Pei and some wire coats makes my skin react but so far I haven't come across any others that do. I don't really have any breeds appearance wise I dislike, although I'm less a fan of breeds with squashed faces like pugs. I love the regal elegance of sighthounds, like KF's IG, but I'm not sure if a sighthound would be a good match? A breed known to have less health issues would also be an advantage, although if most of a breeds issues are testable, and thus can ask a breeder about those health tests for the parents, that would be ok too. Breeds known for gentleness and affection with "their people, calmness in the house and a steady nature are the sort of thing I am looking for. I'm ok with dogs that are aloof with people they don't know. People will be visiting me from time to time, dog must be able to handle that. Other pet friendliness? Doesn't matter if they are or not with small animals or cats, as I don't own any, and there are quite a few places a dog would love to chase rabbits around here :) , but I'd rather not have a breed known for dog-aggression, just to make things easy when walking them. Exercise wise, the dog would usually get anywhere from 30mins to an hour long walk at least once but usually twice a day. The length of time would be adjusted to suit the dog, but an hour at once is pretty much my limit, and I don't want to go running, just a walk. I'm happy with a breed that has to stay on-leash in certain areas or one that can be off-leash.

I have to go right now, but I will come back and finish this later. :) And I think KF will add this post to the OP when its done. Thank you all for your suggestions and support.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes totally agree Dancinbcs. I usually don't recommend BC's either but I feel they would be an excellent choice. They are for me & I suffer with both ailments, anxiety & depression. I think as they are sensiitve souls perhaps.

My guys are also excellent watch dogs. They alert me if someone is around & of a night time their growl is frightening, especially my female. She is scary to walk of a night time actually. She has this very threatening growl if someone approaches or is following us. She means business.i have no doubt she would take matters further if pushed. Yet they both are people friendly 99% of the time. As Dancin has said they are extremely good judges of ones character.

Would a Borzoi suit? I only know one personally , but she would certainly fit with most of your criteria. The only drawback I can really think of is shedding, which is more than my Saluki but then my Saluki hardly sheds at all.

I think a labrador would be a perfect fit. Black for looks.

If you were in Australia I would recommend Tapua as she breeds amazing labs for all kinds of work and I'm sure could pick out the perfect temperament for you.

I'm sure some lab people would be able to recommend a similar breeder in New Zealand.

Edited by LisaCC

My first "own" dog was a Rotti, she was a bit naughty - jumping, digging, chewing etc until she was around 2 - but I worked full time and she only got walked once a day but came out with me on weekends. She was always brilliant around other dogs, horses, kids and small animals. People were always weary about her, but she was so very gentle. She just liked to be around us and ended up be rather lazy.

I can recall walking her late one evening, two guys were driving slowly beside me trying to get me to talk to them, once they saw that I had her with me, they speed off :rofl: I felt very secure walking her & if my parents ever went away I'd have her inside with me.

A big black grey? Do they bark though? none of my fosters ever did :laugh:

A lot of people are wary because they wear muzzles, pretty easy dogs to own.

some do and boy do they sound like they mean it.

Ours never barked infact we felt our Greys where a burglars best friend . :rofl:

My first thought would be a Deerhound.A Gordon Setter would fit the bill perfectly but it comes with coat & if showing is something you want to try they are work but my 2 are the most awesome guard dogs when required but great pets & scare the bejusus out of people at night & there bark is workman like.

Edited by showdog

Don't walk down my driveway then. Fern sounds like the Hounds from Baskerville all on her own LOL. My friend also had a black grey who was an excellent watchdog. They are out there but they are not the norm.

I still think a calm giant breed will suit you really well :) A Saint will adore being the centre of your world and your dearest companion. Others that would suit include a Mastiff or Leonberger.

Giants can be prone to some health issues though so doing your research and seeking a good breeder would be essential.

If showing is going to be a focus it does limit the breeds somewhat. For instance in New Zealand I have never personally seen a Belgian that is consistently doing anything other than breed (usually the only one or at most 2), there are some great aussie breeders in NZ but you will have to wait a considerable period of time to get a show quality one. GSD are a breed worthy of consideration, we have some good breeders in NZ that will sell to show homes

Don't walk down my driveway then. Fern sounds like the Hounds from Baskerville all on her own LOL. My friend also had a black grey who was an excellent watchdog. They are out there but they are not the norm.

Our Blue boy would even help you carry stuff out :eek:

Funnily enough I always thought our dogs would wag their tails and show the robbers where all the expensive stuff was as they generally don't bark at people but when we actually did have someone break in to our garage one night they went off their rockers barking! Clearly they have fairly good intuition for who needs to be barked at. I don't think I've ever heard a grey bark, we used to have one many years ago and she was quiet as a mouse.

Hi all, this is KF's friend speaking. I'm borrowing her account so I might speak personally, rather than relay the info through her. If I repeat anything she has already said, or sound a bit jumbled, forgive me, this sort of thing is rather nerve wracking!

First and foremost, the dog is something to help me feel safe in my home at night, and as a companion to me. During the day, my home is my safe haven and I can truly be myself and relaxed here. When I go to bed however I feel tense, unsafe and feel like someone is going to break in or otherwise something bad will happen, and thus have trouble sleeping. I usually have to have music or a movie or something playing just to relax enough to sleep and even then it takes a long time. I cope with the lack of sleep by taking catnaps during the day currently. I think having a large dog at home to sleep near me will really help me feel much safer and sooth my anxiety. If a loud bark, or taking one look at the dog through the fence would be enough to send someone packing more's the better, but that's not necessarily a requirement. This is actually a fairly safe town, but anxiety isn't rational (which is extremely frustrating when your mind knows better!) so the feelings persist regardless. As a companion, the dog will be my primary source of companionship. I have difficulty making friends with people and don't really go out unless I have to (although I am trying to get better with this, taking baby steps like going to the pool once a week) so I don't see a huge amount of other people outside of visits with my few close friends or family.

The house is fairly big, and has about a quarter-acre section with 6-foot, solid wooden fences. Dog would have access inside and outside during the day and would sleep inside. The climate here is pretty seasonal, but I don't think that matters too much with the dog being allowed inside?

I'd really like to raise a pup myself, though I do recognize a couple disadvantages to this, so I'm not totally putting the right adult dog out of contention. I don't want a wire-coated dog that needs hand-stripping or something like a poodle with a huge amount of grooming needed (although I love standard poodles!), nor do I want something that is a heavy shedder, although one big seasonal drop if the rest of the year isn't too bad might be ok? The prickly coat of Shar-Pei and some wire coats makes my skin react but so far I haven't come across any others that do. I don't really have any breeds appearance wise I dislike, although I'm less a fan of breeds with squashed faces like pugs. I love the regal elegance of sighthounds, like KF's IG, but I'm not sure if a sighthound would be a good match? A breed known to have less health issues would also be an advantage, although if most of a breeds issues are testable, and thus can ask a breeder about those health tests for the parents, that would be ok too. Breeds known for gentleness and affection with "their people, calmness in the house and a steady nature are the sort of thing I am looking for. I'm ok with dogs that are aloof with people they don't know. People will be visiting me from time to time, dog must be able to handle that. Other pet friendliness? Doesn't matter if they are or not with small animals or cats, as I don't own any, and there are quite a few places a dog would love to chase rabbits around here :) , but I'd rather not have a breed known for dog-aggression, just to make things easy when walking them. Exercise wise, the dog would usually get anywhere from 30mins to an hour long walk at least once but usually twice a day. The length of time would be adjusted to suit the dog, but an hour at once is pretty much my limit, and I don't want to go running, just a walk. I'm happy with a breed that has to stay on-leash in certain areas or one that can be off-leash.

I have to go right now, but I will come back and finish this later. :) And I think KF will add this post to the OP when its done. Thank you all for your suggestions and support.

I've owned 9 Rotties over the years, and I reckon a well bred one would be just perfect for the conditions you've described. (Mine weren't all that well bred, but they were awesome anyways... *grin*) I still miss my heart dog Woosie nearly 10 years on... she took a part of my soul when she passed.

Tapua (Labradors) may export to the right home... never hurts to ask... and her Labs are some of the best bred I've encountered in the flesh - temperament AND good looks... very stable dogs.

I found that my Rotties all shed less than my Labrador does... just saying...

T.

T.

I feel a greyhound would definitely fit the bill, it sounds like a wonderful home. My two don't bark but as I also live alone I feel confident their size alone would put an intruder off, they would be running at said intruder with a stuffed toy each and wouldn't bite them in a million years but I'd like to see him/her try and outrun them :laugh: Even friends that come to visit are wary due to their size even though they know they are big love sponges. They suit me too as they are low shedding, have no smell so perfect for indoor living, and while Stan struggles to walk around the block, Maddie is like the energiser bunny that would walk with you for miles so they are all different.

As Rebanne said with GAP in NZ you may be able to foster first and just see if a greyhound is for you. Just beware though, they are addictive and you won't be able to stop at one :p Good luck in your search.

Anyone who thinks sighthounds aren't capable of being protective of home and hearth doesn't live with them.

My Whippets warning bark when visitors arrive. That bark changes to shrieks of welcome if they recognise a "friend".

One of them gave my trash pack guy a good scare and I'd not come in the yard if they didn't know me. Their extended breed standard says they should be prepared to warn off intruders.

And they make the best bed mates embarrass.gif

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Dear KF's friend :) I for one am looking forward to reading about your new companion (and seeing photos ;) )

It was so nice to see a post from you.

Agree, you sound like you will make a great dog owner and I'm sure you could raise a pup if that's what you want :)

I still think rotti :) but also Greyhound (a neighbour of ours had his life saved by his Greyhound girl, they nay not bark a lot but they will protect their people). Also Labrador or Mastiff I think would be great too.

If you like the poodle look but do not want a lot of clipping grooming, take a look at the Curly Coated Retriever.They do have a coat drop once or twice a year but the rest of the time very little shedding...They would tick a lot of the boxes for you i believe.

What ever breed you go with find a breeder who will match you with the the most suitable pup .