Does Your Dog Sleep Through The Night Without An Outside Trip?

kamuzz

I have a 6, 7 and 10 year old. Dinner around 5/6 and they're shut in the bedroom usually around 10 (but have usually taken themselves to bed earlier than that). Very rarely does one need to go out during the night. We get up at 7.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bonnie is coming up five years old in a few weeks, we had to fully re-housetrain her when we got her in December last year as she was either a complete outdoor dog in her previous home or (as is not uncommon with rescues) plain forgot how to toilet outside in a new environment.

Regardless of what time we go to bed - could be anywhere from 8pm - 12am, she's always taken out for a 'last' wee and she knows she doesn't get to come inside until she's done her business, unless she's asked voluntarily to go not too long before that. As soon as she's back inside its up on the bed, tucked into her blanket and off to the land of nod.

I'm in posession of a relatively small bladder and usually get up at some stupid hour to relieve myself, after I've done so I will generally call her and take her outside to toilet...means we can have a bit of a sleep in in the mornings! Or if I'm particularly wiped and dont wake her, she will get off the bed, shake, and stand at the sliding door to be let out (we keep it closed to keep the warm air in).

Our 8yr old Malt x

and guest dogs:

"Cavoodle" - 3yrs

Labrador - 9 years

Silky x Dachshund - 13 years

all seem to be able to last through the night (10:30-6am ish)

My GSD was able to hold it as well until he went on medication that made him drink a lot and he (and I!) was up every 3-4 hours.

Can you put him in a laundry with a dog door and then have the laundry door deadbolted for your own safety?

Widget is middle aged & tends to pee once during the night . I leave a conni critter pad down for her ...much easier than getting up , waking up numerous other dogs/cat/pig ....... :o Don holds on really well , considering he's entire & has only been sleeping indoors for a few months !

As a precaution my Mac (16 on Thursday) and Sarah (14) wear pants, belly bands and pads as a precaution at bed-time. But after a bad patch 6 - 8 weeks ago they are now both going overnight without needing a 3 am wee. They are doing very well for old dogs - but I do toilet them all at bed-time - without fail! smile.gif

My 4 are aged 11, 12, 13 & 14. They all go overnight (~10.30pm til 5.30am) without a problem, and often don't want to go out in the early morning - if we're sleeping in on the weekend, they usually stir and ask to go out at about 7.30! I do go out with them before bedtime, to make sure they all pee. I have one that will even do a fake squat, in order to get back inside into the warm quickly, so I have to watch her like a hawk!

Mine go out in the middle of the night if we get up, otherwise they sleep through . We had a recent issue where one dog was pooping in the bed. He had surgery and it got worse after that so he went on antibiotics for a week which fixed his guts up.

I have an almost 7 year old border collie x, 3.5 year old westie & a 6 month old whippet.

All sleep thru the night - 10pm to 5.30am on work days and 10pm til up to 10am on days off.

Whippet puppy occasionally asks to go to the toilet if I get up early in the morning to pee or get a drink on my days off before going back to bed but not often.

Westie and Whippet sleep in my room on my bed or their beds on the floor and Maverick sleeps wherever he wants, mainly the lounge room.

Last let out to toilet on the way to bed which is around 10pm and have water up until then.

Have Scout who's heading to 10 years and Sarge who's just over a year old. They go out for wees around 11ish and then they're in my room all night up until about 7 or 8 am. Usually have to wake the slugs up to go out in the morning lol.

They fit in with whatever my sleep pattern is really...if I sleep, they sleep and they don't annoy me to go out.

Was at the vet on Monday night for vaccinations and didn't think to ask about this issue:-(

Tonight dinner was just after 7:00 and Mazda thought the world had ended. Life is so hard when your food doesn't arrive on time!

Juice, when they were allowed upstairs Coda would sleep at the bottom of the stairs by choice most nights. It is Mazda who misses sleeping in with us.

Let's see what happens at 3:00 am.

All my dogs sleep through the night unless they have a really upset tummy (happens to my beagle every now and then). There is no way I would be getting up over night to toilet them, absent a medical condition. They stay in their crates until I am ready to let them out.

I call it old man bladder!

My boy has needed to go more frequently as he has gotten older. Sometimes he needs to go once. Sometimes more.

They sleep with us and he will wake me to go out.

Once you get into the routine, you literally do it with your eyes closed so going back to sleep isn't a problem.

Edited by Ci

We can't have a dog door because Coda destroys them trying to get inside if there is a thunder storm while we are at work.

Ci you are lucky you can get back to sleep! Just doesn't happen for me when I'm woken after about 2:00 am

So Tuesday dinner was at 7:00 ish and he asked for out at 1:00 and then again at 2:00

Wednesday dinner was at 6:00 (so I could crawl into bed with flu) and he made it all night

Thursday dinner was 7:00 ish and he asked for out at 2:00, but to bark and other dogs in the street were barking too

Let's see what happens over the weekend

I posted a thread on this a while back, Gus at 2 just insisted he needed the 3am wee.

He seems to have grown out of it and become a marathon sleeper, of course now I'm up every hour for a wee...haha.

Rosie will sleep through the night but if you're not up at 6am that's it. I suspect a large portion of this is to do with her winter time ninja wees, where you realise its cold and do the smallest, fastest wee possible to get back inside quickly. Sigh.