Nsw To Ban Greyhound Racing From July 2017

The Spotted Devil

The NSW Government will announce a detailed industry shutdown plan during the second half of 2016 following consultation with stakeholders in industry and animal welfare organisations. The plan will include:
  • A welfare plan for existing greyhounds;
  • A support package for industry participants; and
  • A transition arrangement for existing Greyhound Racing NSW assets that will ensure they are used for open public space, alternative sporting facilities or other community use
(this is from the govt site)

Do they own Wentworth Park and places like that? embarrass.gif I'm not sure what their actual property assets are. It will all become crown land?

Sorry for the questions, I don't really understand the land thing and if it will be turned over to developers straight away.

Article in the SMH today discusses the timing of Baird's decision. Malcolm Turmoil wouldn't have stood a chance if the decision had been announced before the election. Also mentions the point I made earlier about appeasing the minor parties in the aftermath of the election and shoring up allegiances in order to form a Government.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/timing-of-mike-bairds-decision-to-ban-greyhound-racing-in-nsw-politically-motivated-20160707-gq0x2t.html

Edited by trifecta

The NSW Government will announce a detailed industry shutdown plan during the second half of 2016 following consultation with stakeholders in industry and animal welfare organisations. The plan will include:
  • A transition arrangement for existing Greyhound Racing NSW assets that will ensure they are used for open public space, alternative sporting facilities or other community use

Do they own Wentworth Park and places like that? embarrass.gif I'm not sure what their actual property assets are. It will all become crown land?

Sorry for the questions, I don't really understand the land thing and if it will be turned over to developers straight away.

My understanding is that the track was leased land from the state government so with the ban the lease becomes invalid as greyhound racing is illegal and the land is basically under government control.

whether or not this I'm not sure but it is my opinion on it.

--Lhok

And in the Financial Review

http://www.afr.com/real-estate/residential/prime-land-freed-after-nsw-government-bans-greyhound-racing-20160707-gq0tch

Jul 7 2016 at 6:45 PM Updated Jul 7 2016 at 6:45 PM

Prime land freed after NSW government bans greyhound racing

Share via Email

Share on Google Plus

Post on facebook wall

Share on twitter

Post to Linkedin

Share on Reddit

Share on twitter

Share on Google Plus

by Su-Lin Tan

Large parcels of land are set to be freed up after the NSW government made the shock announcement to shut down greyhound racing following evidence of systemic animal cruelty in the industry.

As racing operators struggle to come to grips with the decision, landowners will now have to consider alternative uses for the race tracks, some of which are as big as 30 hectares and close to residential development.

The government has confirmed it would not be turning race tracks situated on public Crown land – in particular the high-profile Wentworth Park track in the Sydney CBD – into commercial or residential development sites, but there are other privately owned tracks that could now be attractive to developers hungry for land suitable for housing projects. NSW has a shortage of housing supply.

"Wentworth Park is 100 per cent Crown land. There will be no residential and commercial use [for the track]," a spokesman for Premier Mike Baird said. "It would be open space and [for] community use."

The government also said in a statement the transition to wind down the industry over the next 12 months would ensure race tracks be used for "open public space, alternative sporting facilities or other community use".

A welfare plan for existing greyhounds and an adjustment package for industry participants would also be provided.

The Wentworth Park race track in the suburb of Ultimo is the most well-known of the 40 tracks in NSW and also one of Sydney's prime parcels of land. The facility shares space with the park's common green area and is just outside the boundary of NSW's highly touted Bays Precinct Transformation Program.

Urbangrowth NSW confirmed it has no current plans to connect the track into the the Bays Market District. It will only connect the common green.

Welcome news

Returning the track to public use was greatly welcomed by the City of Sydney Council which has long campaigned for the track to be removed. Like the NSW government, it did not want to see the track used for housing or retailing, it said in a Bays Precinct submission.

"Finally the government has put an end to this cruel and bloodthirsty sport," Sydney lord mayor Clover Moore said.

"Now it's time to return Wentworth Park to the City of Sydney as urgently needed open space for sports and recreation for the fast growing communities of Pyrmont, Ultimo and the Bays Precinct."

But the fate of other sites are in question.

The 30-hectare Richmond greyhound racing track is privately owned by the Richmond Race Club and has been used to run racing businesses since 1912. It is close to the booming northwest development corridor including Box Hill, Rouse Hill and Penrith a little further away.

Chinese developers Poly (Australia) Real Estate and Chiwayland recently announced house and apartment developments in Penrith.

"We are shocked at the news. We have been awaiting the report some 18 months and we were under the impression there will be strong recommendations from the report, but to find out the industry will be closed down has left us shocked," general manager Brad Adam said.

"It is just too early to make decisions. First thought is we have a sizeable piece of land with a function centre and liquor license and we need to decide how to use it best."

"We haven't considered [selling it for development] because it [has] historically … always been a racing track."

'Community spaces'

The 10-hectare Bulli race track is owned by the Wollongong City Council, which has no immediate plans to develop it.

"As far as we are concerned these are community spaces," Lord Mayor Gordon Bradbery said.

"At this stage [selling it for development] won't be anywhere on our radar. The issue is to intensify its usage for the community."

Community use includes markets and other festivals, he said.

The Appin Way race track in southwest Sydney is also privately owned and is close to Camden house and land developments.

Maitland and Dapto, both near the Sydney and Wollongong respectively, are owned by horticulture associations.

NSW is the first Australian state to ban greyhound racing after the "Special Commission of Inquiry into the Greyhound Racing Industry in NSW" found at least half of all greyhounds bred to race were killed in the past 12 years because they were deemed uncompetitive.

Edited by trifecta

Article in the SMH today discusses the timing of Baird's decision. Malcolm Turmoil wouldn't have stood a chance if the decision had been announced before the election. Also mentions the point I made earlier about appeasing the minor parties in the aftermath of the election and shoring up allegiances in order to form a Government.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/timing-of-mike-bairds-decision-to-ban-greyhound-racing-in-nsw-politically-motivated-20160707-gq0x2t.html

What's also interesting is that the Premier's office has only had a couple of weeks to review the inquiry report (unless they had a draft beforehand) before making this announcement and (I'm still trawling thru the report in spare time) the report does make suggestions for industry reform, I haven't gotten to any suggestions for steps (staging) to ceasing the industry.

I know politicians love annouceables...

Who'd have thought greyhounds would be the ACT Government's first act of BSL.

They haven't legislated against the breed. They have condemned the activity.

LOLs at the above.

They've always been BSL to a certain extent. With greyhound specific regulations.

Without racing tattoo (BYB etc) then a few prey driven attacks will get greys and greyhoundy looking dogs on the list of 'breeds' rangers can visually identify and act against as with bull breeds. Not sure if ACT will take up that method.

& Thank you for the article trifecta! smile.gifsmile.gif That is much clearer.

I don't particularly care for greyhound racing, but what safeguards have they put in place to stop it from criminal gangs operating it. Banning something doesn't necessarily stop it. The government just had a big windfall just think how much they will get for the tracks when they are sold to developers.

My understanding is that the track was leased land from the state government so with the ban the lease becomes invalid as greyhound racing is illegal and the land is basically under government control.

whether or not this I'm not sure but it is my opinion on it.

--Lhok

Yes, that's largely correct. The land is crown land which means it is owned by the state. DPI manage crown lands in nsw.

Two years ago, a proposal by Greyhound Racing NSW was put forward to turn the site into apartments. A plan was being developed to move the main track for hound racing elsewhere.

The Government (ie DPI) knocked it back saying they would not agree.

So, for everyone saying it's the government going off a money grab, maybe do a little bit of research through time.

I don't particularly care for greyhound racing, but what safeguards have they put in place to stop it from criminal gangs operating it. Banning something doesn't necessarily stop it. The government just had a big windfall just think how much they will get for the tracks when they are sold to developers.

There is no motivation for criminal gangs to find the large space to run greyhound race meets without the gambling industry to support it. Can't run it any old place they need a nice clean grass track or they will break their legs. Some people might feel the need to race their dogs every now and again but it is unlikely to become a huge underground movement, just not feasible.

The USA has only five states left where greyhound racing is legal and operational. There's no real issue with illegal racing. Imagine the logistics of trying to manage a greyhound track without coming to the attention of the authorities. Much more difficult than setting up a pit in someone's basement.

Today its the greyhound industry under attack by governments - forced into this by the fanatic welfare groups....

Tomorrow will be the horse racing industry... first the jumps racing and then the flats...... again governments forced into this by the fanatic welfare groups......

Once this is achieved the fanatic welfare lobby will start to target the Dog Shows and Dog Sports.... After all, in the view of the fanatic these are just activities just using an animal for the human needs and wants...... We have already been targeted due to the numerous breeds who have physical defects do you really want to give them more to focus on......do you really want to see a world without pets......

Legislation is available to local governments to policy the housing of animals, particularly with kennels and breeders. They have the authority under local law to inspect kennels under reasonable notice and this could easily be conducted annually in the case of Commercial Breeders or Greyhound Breeders. The big issue is that Govt groups create rules without any thought or funding to how local authorities are going to police these rules. It would be easy for the Greyhound Association to partly fund this service and increase the registration cost of each litter by $100 to cover this.

And for all those here who wish to berate the trainers because they will put down excess pups to their needs, remember this is an industry that does create employment for many people - in the racing, veterinary field, pet feed industry, chiropractors, dog trailer production...

Most of these dogs are generally not pets but more a commodity... if there is an oversupply or doesn't make the grade what is so bad about the dog being put down in a humane manner. It is no different in the racing industry where horses are sold off for dog food, or the cattle industry where they are sold off to McDonalds for your drive thru dinning.

What is important is that animals, and I mean ALL animals..... should be respected, thus have a good life and ..... a good death.

The view from the other side of the fence

suspect he is right, racing of all kinds are on the agenda as will be riding of all kinds, be it dressage, sporting or jumping .

as for the livestock industries they are on the agenda as is obvious after reading a PETA site.

the mandate IS the elimination of all livestock of any form, pets were first on the hit list and look at how many places are no longer pet friendly compared to 40 - 50 years ago. The changes are dramatic for those born before Peta began. Every home had a pet in our area both home owners and renters, not today.

• The mass killing of greyhounds. The report found, “In NSW in the last 12 years… somewhere between 48,891 and 68,448 dogs were killed because they were considered too slow to pay their way or were unsuitable for racing.” In the industry, they call this “wastage”. It’s not wastage: it is the unnecessary slaughtering of tens of thousands of healthy dogs.

There is already a mass culling of these dogs.

But banning the whole breed and all racing - that's equivalent to banning driving, cars and car ownership because some people like to hoon. There must be a better way.

And did anyone vote for animal justice party? because when I read up on our candiates - they're linked to PETA - who would ban all pet and animal ownership.

sadly that industry itself has shown that it is incapable of policing even its own standards ( such as they are) but as long as there are idiot owners and trainers who publicly come out with rubbish statements like without live baiting you cannot train them to run and a heap of other ill thought out comments that support the appalling record of animal welfare that has been revealed then the ban is inevitable.

Just like the sheep/wool producers who proclaimed the muelsing did not hurt or cause pain to the sheep... total rubbish. My father in law was a wool producer who held those who muelsed in contempt..said they were lazy and wanted shortcuts. He walked/rode his property checking animals daily as part of his mixed farming activities.... fly strike was avoided/controlled ect. he maintained that the problems were due to insisting of raising fine wool sheep in unsuitable climatic conditions.

The way to refute the animal rights arguments is to face the reality of what you are doing not whine that something has been accepted for generations.. so was slavery,, the use of DDT etc.....

H