Waiting For A Puppy This Thread Is For You

jess live die

thanks for the tips! hehe

Our household is quiet so he should be able to settle down easily.

With house training he will be kept inside for a while until he gets a bit older and the weather warms up. We have tiled floors mostly so will try and train him to go on paper. but will let him outside when we are home and supervised.

we bought him a bed, its a high sided circle one so hopefully he can curl up in it and feel secure. I will have to get some softies for him to snuggle up to.

The breeder is going to give me more details on diet etc closer to the day so we can prepare. She advises to introduce new foods into his diet.

I need to find a good vet near me, i might have to start a thread, or do a search. Im also trying to find a good puppy school :p

Is crate training something that should be done? I have a dual cab ute and would love for him to travel in the back seat. Are those buckle in harnesses any good??

...Adam

Oooh i can finaly join in this post :) I paid my deposit for my new GSP pup yesterday and i cannot contain my excitement. My little girl is currently 4 weeks old and is going to be my first show pup. I cant wait.

My 18 month old GSP Riley is going to be so excited too. He loves puppies and is so gentle with them. He wont believe i gots him his berry own puppy to play wiv. :)

yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

thanks for the tips! hehe

Our household is quiet so he should be able to settle down easily.

With house training he will be kept inside for a while until he gets a bit older and the weather warms up. We have tiled floors mostly so will try and train him to go on paper. but will let him outside when we are home and supervised.

we bought him a bed, its a high sided circle one so hopefully he can curl up in it and feel secure. I will have to get some softies for him to snuggle up to.

The breeder is going to give me more details on diet etc closer to the day so we can prepare. She advises to introduce new foods into his diet.

I need to find a good vet near me, i might have to start a thread, or do a search. Im also trying to find a good puppy school :p

Is crate training something that should be done? I have a dual cab ute and would love for him to travel in the back seat. Are those buckle in harnesses any good??

...Adam

Crate training is entirely one's own choice but it's very helpful in house training and keeping puppy safe when left home alone. But in saying that if you do choose to crate, you need to know how to crate train; it's simply not putting pup in and hoping he'll take to it. owners have to build value for the crate so puppy LOVES being in the crate. It isn't for putting puppy in for long periods of time. Just in case you're not aware (and i'd never presume anything), crate training is different to merely using a crate for transportation.

Using a doggy harness is fine in the back seat, but you'll need differing sizes as puppy grows. It may prove a challenge if you have a 'chewer'. if you do a search in DOL regarding dogs travelling in cars, you'll find some great threads with a number of differing choices and opinions regarding safety etc

You may find puppy gets a little confused with learning to evacuation on paper when you're out and then evacuate outside when you're home. It usually takes longer for toilet training due to the confusion, but it's not an impossible feat. Patience and clear signals is the key to success.

having a puppy and raising it is a wonderful experience; enjoy :)

Oooh i can finaly join in this post :) I paid my deposit for my new GSP pup yesterday and i cannot contain my excitement. My little girl is currently 4 weeks old and is going to be my first show pup. I cant wait.

My 18 month old GSP Riley is going to be so excited too. He loves puppies and is so gentle with them. He wont believe i gots him his berry own puppy to play wiv. :)

yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

okay, we need rulez on this thread....no teasing about new puppies without pics :laugh: Congrats; can't wait to see pics of your new girl.

*Four sleeps till Wilbur comes home :dancingelephant:

Adam where in Perth are you?? Im in Perth and could point you to some vets etc. I have a dog already and am getting my pup on 3 sept.

Im up in Yanchep. So anything in Joondalup or even Wanneroo would be nice.

[DSC09194.jpgSoooo cute! Have we got a name yet?? I love Bassetts!

Yeah we have, his name is Odie :) Not the most original but we love it!

...Adam

I am in Ellenbrook so about 20 mins from Joondalup, i have the best vet here near me ( i have allergy issues with my dog so tried heaps of vets). Send me a message if u would like details. I attend northern suburbs dog club, finished all the pet and trial classes with Mason but will be starting again with the pup after his 12 week shot, our club has their own puppy school.

Congrats to everyone getting their puppies! It is so worth the wait, even if they take almost all your time and energy! :D Hudson is testing me, but also the most fun and loving little thing ever, I wouldn't change him for the world and I am so glad I waited for the right dog for me!

Lucky u guys!! It will still be 3 weeks for me from saturday. Im just making the most of masons alone time with me, not looking forward to taking puppy toilet at night :(

aw 3 weeks will be here in no time at all! Yea, im wondering how toileting at night is going to work logistically around here. I'm still breastfeeding my 15 month old son throughout the night. :laugh: I'll have three toddlers (inc puppy) in the house come Saturday! :eek:

Soo, today we have one more sleep :)

I made sure I got a good sleep last night (with the help of a rest aid over the counter heehee)as Im anticipating a few sleepness nights. All good, though, I think the work we put in during the early days will stand us good in the future. :)

How are you guys going to do the inrodcutions to your older dogs? Fly is very friendly and placid but can be a bit flighty without his walk, so Im going to take him for a long walk in the morning before I go get pup.

Im going at 9 am now straight after I take the boys to school :thumbsup: She is only 10 mins from me

I think Ive got everything, crate, food, toys, food, bed, books, clickers, and the breeder is giving me collars, leads, 2 weeks food,2 bowls with her kennel name on:)toys, and a blankie out of the mothers bed. I think she is a star :thumbsup:

Tonight Im going to read over the info again about the early days, and intial training etc. Im going to practice NILIF and ToT from day 1.Nothing too heavy just basics :thumbsup:

ETA Im actually still not 100% on her name yet either :o

Choices so far. Nell. Ascha. Ruby. Narla :confused: Ill add a pic, what do you guys think she would suit more?

post-17377-0-63845100-1313030556_thumb.jpg

Edited by joelle

I made sure I got a good sleep last night (with the help of a rest aid over the counter heehee)as Im anticipating a few sleepness nights. All good, though, I think the work we put in during the early days will stand us good in the future. :)

How are you guys going to do the inrodcutions to your older dogs? Fly is very friendly and placid but can be a bit flighty without his walk, so Im going to take him for a long walk in the morning before I go get pup.

Im going at 9 am now straight after I take the boys to school :thumbsup: She is only 10 mins from me

I think Ive got everything, crate, food, toys, food, bed, books, clickers, and the breeder is giving me collars, leads, 2 weeks food,2 bowls with her kennel name on:)toys, and a blankie out of the mothers bed. I think she is a star :thumbsup:

Tonight Im going to read over the info again about the early days, and intial training etc. Im going to practice NILIF and ToT from day 1.Nothing too heavy just basics :thumbsup:

Choices so far. Nell. Ascha. Ruby. Narla :confused: Ill add a pic, what do you guys think she would suit more?

two sleeps for me. :thumbsup:

I don't have the issue of introducing to other dogs as we currently dont have a dog. I like the name Ruby and Ascha.

Edited by Stack

two sleeps for me. :thumbsup:

I don't have the issue of introducing to other dogs as we currently dont have a dog. I like the name Ruby and Ascha.

Another vote for Ascha here. :)