Waiting For A Puppy This Thread Is For You

jess live die

Choices so far. Nell. Ascha. Ruby. Narla :confused: Ill add a pic, what do you guys think she would suit more?

post-17377-0-63845100-1313030556_thumb.jpg

She looks like a Nell or a Narla to me!

(just hijacking the puppy thread here... saw Mason2009 post hoping she had posted photos laugh.gif No new pup for me for a looooong tiiiiime :() Though my parents just brought home a mini schnauzer pup which I will be training agility with so I guess she's kinda like mine :p

Hi everybody, I've read all the way through this thread - 3 days worth of reading. Your puppies are all so cute :cheer:

I am looking for a GSD puppy right now. :happydance2: I've been in contact with a breeder and she could give me the runt of her current litter for cheap but she wants me to keep him entire and I'm not sure I could handle an entire dog as it'll be my first and there are a lot of irresponsible dog owners around here; if he got out - which he could if he really tried - then it could be a disaster. Otherwise I'll be waiting for a few months until a puppy over East is ready to fly over. When they finish uploading I'll upload some pics of the puppies I went to see last month - didn't work out but they're still gorgeous! :heart:

Hi all, just wanted to post this as I was absolutely stunned when I heard this... we picked up our newf puppy almost 2 weeks ago and yesterday dropped in to visit the breeder, she sent one of my pups litter sibling interstate on Monday and by Tuesday the new owner (after having the pup for 12 hours) was on the phone to her and is sending the pup back because she can't deal with the pups crying!!!! Anybody else as stunned as me!!!

Hi everybody, I've read all the way through this thread - 3 days worth of reading. Your puppies are all so cute :cheer:

I am looking for a GSD puppy right now. :happydance2: I've been in contact with a breeder and she could give me the runt of her current litter for cheap but she wants me to keep him entire and I'm not sure I could handle an entire dog as it'll be my first and there are a lot of irresponsible dog owners around here; if he got out - which he could if he really tried - then it could be a disaster. Otherwise I'll be waiting for a few months until a puppy over East is ready to fly over. When they finish uploading I'll upload some pics of the puppies I went to see last month - didn't work out but they're still gorgeous! :heart:

Why does she want you to keep him entire? That seems really irresponsible of the breeder if your only planning on keeping him for a pet. Coupled with the fact he is your first dog I find that really quite odd. Hope you find a suitable puppy soon :D

Hi all, just wanted to post this as I was absolutely stunned when I heard this... we picked up our newf puppy almost 2 weeks ago and yesterday dropped in to visit the breeder, she sent one of my pups litter sibling interstate on Monday and by Tuesday the new owner (after having the pup for 12 hours) was on the phone to her and is sending the pup back because she can't deal with the pups crying!!!! Anybody else as stunned as me!!!

Thats terrible. The poor puppy is going to have no idea whats going on. :(

Why does she want you to keep him entire? That seems really irresponsible of the breeder if your only planning on keeping him for a pet. Coupled with the fact he is your first dog I find that really quite odd. Hope you find a suitable puppy soon :D

She wants to use him for stud when he's older - someone's offered her $2000 and she's asking half that for me. She said she'd pay for his Breed Surveying and x-rays but I really don't know about having an entire male :confused:

i guess some people aren't prepared for the emotional tug of the crying; especially first timer puppy owners. And i guess you can't totally prepare for something you've not experienced previously. Not the best situation for the puppy but hopefully the breeders can convince them that the crying doesn't last forever and there are some strategies that owners can employ to minimise it. I'm prepared for Wilbur's crying so I'm not worried too much; he's not our first pup. If necessary he can sleep with us in our bed if he still makes a big fuss in his crate next to my bed...OH keeps rolling his eyes when i mention this :laugh: but Wilbur's emotional wellbeing is my priority.

I always hated hearing my non fur-babies cry...can't send them back to the breeder though :rofl:

i guess some people aren't prepared for the emotional tug of the crying; especially first timer puppy owners. And i guess you can't totally prepare for something you've not experienced previously. Not the best situation for the puppy but hopefully the breeders can convince them that the crying doesn't last forever and there are some strategies that owners can employ to minimise it. I'm prepared for Wilbur's crying so I'm not worried too much; he's not our first pup. If necessary he can sleep with us in our bed if he still makes a big fuss in his crate next to my bed...OH keeps rolling his eyes when i mention this :laugh: but Wilbur's emotional wellbeing is my priority.

I always hated hearing my non fur-babies cry...can't send them back to the breeder though :rofl:

lol you sound like me though my OH has already pretty much said 'no dog in the bedroom' lol, I think hes worried we'll end up sharing our bed with the dog as well as our non-fur babies. :laugh:

I swore no dog on the bed, well after 2 months of getting up all the time at night hubby let Mason start sleeping with us ( he only get up lots though because he was allergic to the food we were feeding him). I am going to start puppy off in his crate, hopefully he will settle pretty quickly. If push comes to shove though, puppy can sleep on bed after his middle of the night toilet

It's shocking that people do that isn't it. My friend has a 11 month old BC pup. When she got him the breeder told her that he had previously been adopted by someone else, but they had returned him after something ridiculous like 4 or 6 hours (something like that, it wasn't even overnight) because they hadn't bonded with him and he was too full on for them!

She wants to use him for stud when he's older - someone's offered her $2000 and she's asking half that for me. She said she'd pay for his Breed Surveying and x-rays but I really don't know about having an entire male :confused:

If you're doing this, just be careful and make sure you have a contract that details what is going to happen, will you get stud fees if the breeder lets other breeders use your boy? etc etc

Once he has been used at stud will his ownership be transferred into your name?

Just be careful, Co ownership is usually very very good, and allows people to get quality dogs they otherwise would not.

Buut I have had a few friends badly burned in these instances, so just have a good think.

If you're not confident with an entire male, maybe look elsewhere, there's no shame in doing that.

:hug:

If you're doing this, just be careful and make sure you have a contract that details what is going to happen, will you get stud fees if the breeder lets other breeders use your boy? etc etc

Once he has been used at stud will his ownership be transferred into your name?

Just be careful, Co ownership is usually very very good, and allows people to get quality dogs they otherwise would not.

Buut I have had a few friends badly burned in these instances, so just have a good think.

If you're not confident with an entire male, maybe look elsewhere, there's no shame in doing that.

:hug:

I agree.

Maybe you could ask in the GSD thread about the differences between entire and desexed males?

If you are not feeling confident, I would be looking elswhere. It may mean you have to wait alittle longer - but it is best not to rush into these things.

Thanks Esky and Buddy1, I think I am going to look elsewhere - I think the breeder is a lovely person but I don't really want to share my first dog; nor do I want to deal with any dramas that may or may not arise. As it is, if I wait a little longer, I'll be able to properly spoil my pup rather than focusing on his needs like being able to afford vaccinations. If I wait, I can do both ;) However, I will keep hanging around this thread - there may be a litter with my name on it being born at the end of September :D

EDITED: for sentence structure - haven't had my morning coffee yet

Edited by GSDGirl