Non-shedding Dogs

My car gets covered in Zeus fur, however, I don't care too much because 3/4 of it belongs to the dogs anyway -- the boot and whole back half, leaving the front passenger and driver's seat for the humans.

As for fur in the house, again, I'm not fussed. A house should be lived in so some sort of dirt is to be expected. I actually find uber spotless houses weird and worrisome to visit out of fear of scumming up the tiles or something. :laugh:

That said, I grew up in a house with 5 kids so tidy didn't really happen! :D

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to vacuum every day because of the house Maremmas. It is a pita. My Pug barely sheds. He just had a big coat drop but its stopped now. I don't think I've ever seen a loose Stafford hair although the Pug and SBT are groomed weekly which helps.

I have 2 breeds that shed. The BCs shed as they change coat and of them sheds hair by hair son lots of sweeping and vacuuming, the other sheds clump by clumps so I just pickup a clump as I see it. The dally shed 52 weeks of the year, the white hair sticks to anything dark and the coloured hair to anything light. Do I care - no because I love my breeds and the compensation for owning them far outweights the bit of extra housework.

Edited by Janba

I would never rule out a breed due to shedding. Actually I'd be far more likely to rule out a non-shedder because of the extra work required - well that and also there's no non-shedders that I am particularly attracted to if I'm being honest.

I would never say no to a dog breed that sheds, however it is a consideration when I am looking at breeds and was a deciding factor when it came down to three breeds I was finding hard to seperate.

I wouldn't buy a dog with a coat like a GSD or Lab and have it in the house, it would do my head in, so therefore as much as I like them I wouldn't own one as it wouldn't be fair on the dog.

I would prefer to have say a Lagotto or Poodle coat and keep it essentially clipped off - which I can and would do myself. I have found medium length coated BC's lose some hair but nowhere near as much as the breeds I previously mentioned so could see myself with a coat like that.

Edited by OSoSwift

I have two shedding breeds currently and intend to get a non-shedding breed next time. My reasons:

I want to be able to travel with the dog without a car covered in fur

Yes! I take my Cavalier to the dog park every now and then and it's only a 10 minute drive away, but when I get back I actually have to vacuum down the whole car (seats, floor, doors, everything) which is really time consuming. I guess it doesn't really help that the inside of the car is black and that it doesn't belong to me haha. But I have to admit I would take him to the park a lot more often if this weren't the case :o

Edited by mel_

I have 2 breeds that shed. The BCs shed as they change coat and of them sheds hair by hair son lots of sweeping and vacuuming, the other sheds clump by clumps so I just pickup a clump as I see it. The dally shed 52 weeks of the year, the white hair sticks to anything dark and the coloured hair to anything light. Do I care - no because I love my breeds and the compensation for owning them far outweights the bit of extra housework.

I hear you with the Spotty Dog Janba :laugh: The house and car are set up to manage dog and cat hair - floorboards, clean lines, cargo space and the occasional "blind eye" :D Wouldn't swap them for the world. In fact, the way mud and dirt drop out of their coats is just brilliant. Everyone comments on how white their whites are....maybe it's just the dirty hair that sheds!

We have both double coats, single and non shedding here. I can handle the coat drop of a Samoyed. What comes out is more like wool, it's easily to clean up and brushes out easily without tiny little hairs flying everywhere.

Our Havanese doesn't really shed at all, instead required a lot of grooming and maintenance.

The constant dropping of my Lab however drives me crazy insane. It sticks to everything and is almost impossible to get out of clothing, chairs, shoes, my eyes etc. It also makes me sneeze like crazy these days which in turn has knocked a lot of possible dogs off my one day list.

Honestly I don't think people realise how much work goes into the non shedding breeds. I think for most people vaccuming a little more often would be the more simple solution.

Shedding was a key part of our choice of dogs. I don't like dog hair in the house, and would never have a dog that sheds. Our first dog was an Airedale terrier, low shedding breed. Now, we have two poodles (a standard and a mini) and they are perfect family dogs for us.

And maintenance don't have to be so much work as people would make it believe. Because it's hot here pretty much all of the time I clip them short once in 3-4 weeks. Brushing is a 15 minutes job done twice a week.

Its an important criteria for me. I live with my family and mom is very house proud and big on cleanliness. Even if I lived alone I would prefer daily grooming to having to deal with shedding. I like brushing my dog and I am seriously thinking of taking up an amateur course on grooming so I can clip my dog myself. Saving money partly but also for a peace of mind.

Interesting thread. I don't think I'd rule out a breed of dog due to shedding or not shedding, but I wouldn't get a short haired dog as there's something about the texture of the coat that makes me itchy and tends to give me a rash across my arms/ legs if I'm cuddling or petting them. I don't seem to react the same way to longer coated breeds. I have a mini schnauzer - and when sussing out breeds expected the short coated sections on the schnauzers and scottish terriers I met to cause the same problem - not so....no idea why! So that is a factor for me rather than the shedding if that makes sense? That having been said it's lovely not to have dog hair all over the place and has made life easier when my family (who are outside dog people) visit.

I have a non shedder - poodle - but have to say I was not prepared for the amount of maintenance even clipped off. I didn't want to deal with dog hair over everything. I think people also have the perception that non shedding equals no doggy odour as well which is not always the case - I still bathe him weekly. I think the ongoing grooming requirements of a lot of the non shedding breeds may be a reason so many end up in shelters and some of the crosses between the curly coated and straight coated make for particularly difficult coats IMO.

have to say i have asthma, grew up with a german shepherd (outside dog) that said i used to crawl around the dirt in all his hair etc. was never a problem. now my 2 coolies live in my house sleep in my room get snuggles on the bed...i do notice the dog hair but if i vacume regularly the house seems to stay relatively clean (well clean enough to keep me happy) not clean enough to keep non dog lovers happy :shrug: i do worry about the hair with a new bubba on the way...but maybe i can just clean more or brush/wash the dogs more to minimise any allergies risks? but pple with allergies can live with pet cant they? there is medication available?

After a life time of pugs, I'm opting for a non shedding breed next... assuming there is a next. I'd even look at a non shedding breed of cat. I love my pugs and I can talk about the wonders of them forever but I am so. over. the. hair.

My house is dog friendly. It's all wood floors, I have an auto vacuum, the dogs aren't allowed on the lounge but the hair is still everywhere. :laugh:

I wash their beds weekly and run the covers through the drier but I cannot get the hair off the so they always look dirty to me.

I have 2 double coated dogs and the only time it got to me was the end of my pregnancy and when my daughter was tiny, but honestly it didn't matter that much at all....although at one point we were joking that she would probably be born with dog hair on her!

I think it comes from the 'oodle revolution...for those less educated about dogs, they decide they want a lab that doesn't shed and think that if its crossed with a poodle it is exactly the same as a lab but without coat everywhere. I think some people think you can turn any breed into a non-shedder by crossing them?

I will never have another pug for the same reason - it is like labrador coat and they do get that doggy smell. Sid doesn't drop much coat at all, it's a single coat and he never gets doggy.

After a life time of pugs, I'm opting for a non shedding breed next... assuming there is a next. I'd even look at a non shedding breed of cat. I love my pugs and I can talk about the wonders of them forever but I am so. over. the. hair.

My house is dog friendly. It's all wood floors, I have an auto vacuum, the dogs aren't allowed on the lounge but the hair is still everywhere. :laugh:

I wash their beds weekly and run the covers through the drier but I cannot get the hair off the so they always look dirty to me.

Just go a black, they don't shed nearly as much :D

Dogs that don't shed can still run mud into the house, they can still dribble, they can still have accidents... Dogs can be messy, get over it :thumbsup:

ETA: but in saying that, I much prefer a dog with a short, single coat. I love stroking a gorgeous sleek dog, I don't like the look or feel of fluffies, don't like the grooming or maintenance either. Elsie drops a bit of hair, but it's not that noticeable... That cat and the rabbit are way worse.

Edited by DiscoDobe

We are Labrador people.

Given the choice between....

A) a coat that sheds a lot but dries fast, and is easy and quick to brush but brings with it a need for increased vacuuming and a tolerance for a bit of fur on clothes and car seats, and couches and beds and well pretty much all over the shop.....and....

B) a coat that doesn't drop fur all the time but that needs clipping regularly....

...I would still go for A. I know I'd rather brush and vacuum than clip. For others A would sound appalling! :)

I've got a friend with a severely allergic family (who all love animals). They got a Lagotto and he is perfect for them. But when my friend gets in my car she just about has an asthma attack, poor thing.