Your Heart Dog

I've read often on here about all the DOLers's heart dogs and I've since been wondering, how do you know?

To date I've only ever lost my beloved Poochie, 3 years ago now, but she was my first dog and the one I grew up with for 16 years. Her loss was the most painful thing I've been through and I felt my heart break at her death. I loved her (and will continue to love her) with all my heart, but I'd like to know -- do I cherish her so much because she was my first childhood pet or because she was my heart dog?

Is there a difference between heart dog/childhood pet? Is it possible have a few heart dogs?

How did you all happen to realise you'd found your heart dog? Would you care to share the defining moment with the forum? I'd love to hear some lovely stories of how your heart dogs came to be!!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My heart dog was not my first dog, nor was he a childhood pet. I don't think its the age you get them but the way they make you feel and the bond you have with them.

I have loved all my dogs very much but I do have much stronger feelings for some more than others.

Sarge was the most amazing dog I've known and I can't imagine ever having a dog like him ever again. Almost 7 years since hes been gone and it still hurts and i still miss him. I do believe that you can have more than one special dog though. It's no secret at my house that Simi is my favourite out of my current dogs and Arnold (Simi's son) is a close second.

My childhood dog was the first. She certainly paved the way for a life lived with dogs. But I have found that it does happen again, and it dawns on you very gradually as you live with the dog and they become so much a part of your life.

Doesn't happen with every dog though.

Ollie was my heart dog. I grew up with a few dogs, loved them all.

Ollie was different, the bond was different, it felt different - than it did with the other dogs.

I have Zig now and he is awesomely special, I would be devastated to lose him. He came into my life when I needed something more than I ever had before. He filled a hole in my heart that I didn't think would or could be filled.

Is he another heart dog? Could I be that lucky?

It isn't the same as it was with Ollie dog but he is pretty special for different reasons than Ollie was special.

8 years on and I still find it hard to talk/write about Jasmine. She was a GSD x Collie Rough - a once in a life time dog, my kids were very blessed to have had her when they were small, she was the perfect kids dog.

Well I'm glad to know you can have more than one. Hank was my heart dog because he was the epitome of noble. Trustworthy, always there , reliable,honest, always there when I put my hand down to pat him and just an all round nice guy. I thought I would never want another dog but there was a dog shaped hole in my heart.

Jake came along and I love him because he's a jerk. Annoying. hard work, high maintenance, manipulative. He challenges me every darn day and its a little scary how joined at the heart we are.

Edited by hankdog

A heart dog will grab a hold of your soul - that's the only way I can describe that bond you have with them... and your soul breaks when they leave you...

My Woosie left me in 2004, and I still can't talk about her out loud without losing it... I'm even choking up and have tears flowing now just typing her name. I miss her so much that it actually hurts even 9 years later.

Harper is my latest heart dog - she is big, naughty, and a complete PITA most of the time - but I wouldn't trade her for the world... she's only 11 months old and is just going through the turd stage... *grin*

I've had quite a few dogs over the years, and LOTS of fosters, and I've loved them all to death - but you just KNOW when there's that special one...

T.

Cleo is my special girl. I can't describe the bond we have, we read each other's body language and just making eye contact we can read each other. She's still a cheeky little monster, she's been a challenge to me, but in the last year we've come closer than I ever though possible with a dog.

She also cracks me up so much. She's such a princess, she doesn't sit on the ground in the sun, she sits like a little sphinx on the outside table. She farts randomly and looks perfectly innocent. Not to mention the Dalmatian smile that I get every day when I get home from work :)

Ollie was my heart dog. I grew up with a few dogs, loved them all.

Ollie was different, the bond was different, it felt different - than it did with the other dogs.

I have Zig now and he is awesomely special, I would be devastated to lose him. He came into my life when I needed something more than I ever had before. He filled a hole in my heart that I didn't think would or could be filled.

Is he another heart dog? Could I be that lucky?

It isn't the same as it was with Ollie dog but he is pretty special for different reasons than Ollie was special.

The bolded bit is what describes it for me. My heart is still broken after losing a Monte in April.

I've loved each and every dog that has been in my life and organised my world around them but my heart girl Stussy found me and she just has this connection with me that can't really be explained. She knows how I feel and despite the fact that for the first three years of her life with me she was a nightmare that chewed everything I owned I would not trade her for anything. No amount of money or stuff would ever be a fair trade for my chunky monkey. She only has to look at me to make me feel better. I also love that she wants to be with me. It is a blessing that I try not to take for granted, even when she is being naughty! And when I go on holiday I don't just worry that she is doing ok without me, I miss her.

As an example of a heart dog's behaviour, I've been sick all week with the flu (or something of that nature). I rarely got out of bed for several days and nights and I had the sweats and kicked the blankets on and off and hacked up a storm, but Stussy stayed by my side the whole time except to eat and toilet. She stayed guard in case I needed help or warmth or just a friendly face. She didn't try to drink out of my cup or eat my cough lollies or chew up the dirty tissues, and she made sure the other dogs didn't either. But now I'm mostly better all bets are off!

One thing I still remember was when she was only a pup and I was having a really, really bad day. I was lying on the bed and she jumped up and put her favourite toy at that time on my chest, kind of like she was telling me that since the toy made her smile it might make me smile too.

So you can love a dog but if you are lucky one will come along that gives itself to you in a much more special way and it will be your heart dog.

dunno it sort of happens.. the second i set eyes upon glossy Morrie something just happened... when he passed in my arms the pain was beyond description but we had a magic time as we wal;ked our life path together and he taught me so much about "DOG". then to my great surprise Dennys Dog was born and he drew his first breaths in my hands.. snap. we are both doddering about now in our dotage. In between came Jake..man was he special. Came for a three day long weekend and stayed for the last 6 years of his life... he i think literally stole part of my heart. I did not want to love him at all.. a skinhny scarred smelly filthy pitbull ..but he tenaciously persevered and wriggled his way so deep into my heart and soul that his leaving still causes a deep down grief .. he too was a teacher dog..

bless all the dogs who have left part of themselves with me...

H

You just know. :)

The bond I have with Jack (now my parent's dog as they wouldn't let me take him when I moved out of home), is very special. Even though I don't believe our bond will ever be as strong as it was (I broke his heart a little bit when I moved out of home and took our bed), Mum says she always knows when I'm coming over because Jack gets super excited about 3 minutes before I arrive. Every time I see him being so happy to see me, my heart leaps a little bit :)

Of the 4 that I have now, I love them all dearly, and would be devastated to lose any of them, but Thundercleese is special. He is MY dog, he is completely, utterly, 180% devoted to me, his only goal in life is to make me happy.

I've grown up with dogs my whole life who were loved and well taken care of but I'm not sure if it's because Tux is my first completely all mine dog or what, but he's special. I miss him terribly even if I go out just for the day and he misses me, he understands what I mean even though he mightn't always obey and he's just such a sweet boy. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have him really.

My TroyBoy is my heart boy. I adored him from the first moment I saw him, never had that feeling before or again. I love all my dogs past and present and tear up at the mere thought of something happening to them but with Troy everything is intensified tenfold.

Edited by german_shep_fan

My heart dog was not my first dog, nor was he a childhood pet. I don't think its the age you get them but the way they make you feel and the bond you have with them.

I have loved all my dogs very much but I do have much stronger feelings for some more than others.

I agree. Victoria, one of my Saint Bernards, was one of my heart dogs - and my first heart dog, but not my first dog. I didn't get her until she was about 7yrs old and lost her when she was 12yrs. I still cant think about her without losing a breath and feeling like I've been punched in the heart. I currently have quite a few dogs and while I love them all dearly, two of them are heart dogs too. The thought of losing them makes me feel that same way as I do when I think about Victoria. Esme my 5 yo Stafford and Snowy my 12 yo Maremma. Both extra special dogs. That's not to say I won't be devo if I lost any of the others, but my bond with these two is something else. I feel like they know me and what I am always thinking. They are sensitive to my mood at the time and don't demand more from me if they sense I'm not up to it - there is just a different intensity there. Meanwhile Alvin the Pug is bouncing off the walls demanding my attention 101%, totally insensitive/oblivious to the vibe around him :laugh:

I don't think I've ever had a heart dog, all the dogs I've had I've loved them very very much and am terribly heartbroken when they leave. But not a special heart dog like you all have been saying where you just know. I do however have a heart cat... just thinking about her dying makes me tear up. Then again she acts very much like a dog so maybe she is my heart cat-dog. :laugh: