Early Morning Tranquility Shattered

Kirislin

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thankyou all so much for your good wishes. It was so awful, at the time I thought she was going to die, I'm not kidding, I know I call them all whimpy whippets, but really they're so brave when they are seriously injured, I knew she wasn't just putting it on.

She is now settled in the crate, I've left the door open and she got out for a while but has gone back in there of her own accord and seems more relaxed now.

Her face looks a bit strange to me, but it might be the drugs, it almost looks as if she's had a stroke, but I suspect it's because her face muscles are relaxed from the morphine. Neko is being her faithful companion, laying in there by her side, although truth be told, it's probably just because she likes the crate.

Rosetta I'd wanted him to do an xray too but when he explained that he didn't think it was called for because he doesn't think she's broken any bones in her back I could see his point. Tomorrow if I think she might have broken something in her chest I'll be hotfooting it back to request further examination and painkillers for her but I think for now she's better off here with me just resting. She would fret if she was kept in a cage at the clinic, they dont have it staffed on a Sunday.

I'm so lucky our local clinic will even come in for AH emergencies, if I was in Melbourne I probably would have had to go to an emergency clinic and I think they pretty much charge over $1000 just to walk in the door.

Edited by Kirislin

Oh jeebus Kirislin! All the best healing vibes from me and mine are being sent to sweet Feather...

There is nothing like the complete adrenaline rush of sheer panic when one of our "babies" is in an emergency situation, and it's up to us to get our arse into gear fast, is there?

How are YOU hanging in there?

I'd definitely be looking for chest and spine x-rays tomorrow - and maybe a couple of her jaw for good measure - it sounds like she may have cracked something when she fell. No dog screams in pain for no good reason - especially ones as usually stoic as your lot... and there's the bruising to consider as well - dogs don't bruise as easily as us (even whippets)...

Do you have any form of doggy painkillers there at all? Even some Meloxicam, or some carprofen types (Noracarp, etc) might help a little if she gets restless overnight. At risk of being screamed at by others, even some ibuprofen or panadol as advised by a vet for dosage might hold her over until tomorrow when you can get some proper doggy pain relief for her.

T.

she's just laying quietly T, but I do find it unsettling that she still hasn't closed her eyes. It must be something to do with the drugs. She isn't crying or restless, just laying still but with these staring eyes. At the moment I doubt there's any more a vet would do for her.

I offered her a little bit of food about an hour ago and she ate it which was good as she didn't get her breakfast.

I'm OK, worried about her but OK.

Edited by Kirislin

After reading and posting here I thought of what happened to us On this day and how I felt so I know how you must be feeling and its awful. Hope Feathers outcome is every bit as good as Tullys was.

Isn't DOL great for moral support when we need it, all so like minded and love their dogs and feel for others when they have a bad experience.

I'm guessing its stinking hot at your place too which wouldn't be helping! :(

Holy crap K, how awful. There is nothing worse than seeing them in pain, it just wrenches your gut (& heart). If your vet is sure there are no breaks she could have bruised the bone, which is still incredibly painful, and at 12 if she's had nothing serious happen is probably very scary for her as well.

I don't know about mixing rescue remedy with drugs but if you can do it. I've also found the times that Tess has problems if I lie down with her (I'll get on the floor & lie down next to her) she relaxes a bit which helps. Hopefully Neko is doing that.

Fingers crossed it"s short term hun. Sending those vibes to you both

TLC it is good to have somewhere to pour out my heart and anxieties when something like this happens and know that so many completely understand. Your experience did sound similar although Tully came good alot quicker, but that first sickening screaming in agony and thinking she's broken her back....Ugh :cry: I think Feather might be sore for a while yet.

I'm happy to report that she ate all her dinner just now. I raised her bowl a bit so she didn't have to stretch to the floor to eat it. She then took herself outside for a toilet break and did 1's and 2's and then gingerly tottered back inside and has put herself back into the crate. She's such a good patient. :heart: She wont be happy when she finds out she's sleeping there tonight though but I dont want her jumping on and off the bed overnight and I cant be sure I'll wake up to lift her up and down if she needs to get off.

Oh geez Kirislin how scary :(. It is so horrible when they hurt themselves.

Glad to hear she is up and moving though. Get well little one :hug:.

Oh Holy crap Kirislin. How absolutely terrifying for you and for Feather. I am so glad to read that she is a bit more settled and that Neko is keeping her company.

Heaps of healing vibes coming your's and Feather's way. Please keep us informed and look after yourself as well.

OMG - Scary +++++ eek1.gif

Glad she is starting to feel better. Dodger has chested my back porch (misjudged the jump) done a full mid air somersault and crashed onto the concrete on his back. While FHRP and I were still :dropjaw: he got up, shook himself off and continued the zoomie.

Dems Whippets are tough I tell you!

Edited by Haredown Whippets