Puppy Sexism?

pennysmum

I've not noticed a major difference in personality between sexes, I guess boys can be a bit more goofy.

In some breeds there is quite a size difference between males and females- I would not get a male labrador as they tend to be between 30-35kg on average, wheres as the girls can be as light as 23-25kg. 10kg makes a difference to me as a smaller person- I can pick my dog up in an emergency but there is no way i'd be able to lift a 35kg dog by myself.

I don't like how people let their male dogs cock their legs on everything- some people don't seem to bothered by this? I know it is a training issue but none of my female dogs have shown any inclination to urinate on pieces of equipment etc

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unclean? As in won't lick their penis? It's Ernie's personal amusement park!

Hahahaha, we are forever telling Sweep that it will fall off if he licks it too much. The other boys don't seem to ever lick though.

When I got my first dog Cody, I had my heart set on a girl. Everyone had told me they make better pets, won't pee on everything etc etc. Nobody had girls so I got the boy instead, after being told it would be ok as long as I desexed him before 9months (he was done at 6months). He was predominantly an outside dog anyway so I couldnt tell you how much he marked, but he never pissed on anything at training or caused "boy issues". When I got Delta I was told by a few people that the girls were more expensive because they could be bred and youu recoup the extra money that way...

As far as performance sports go and the BC lines that we prefer, a female is definitely the better option. They mature faster, are more sensible, and learn faster (due to being 100% on the job and not goofy, nothing to do with brain capacity). Other BC lines are different, but this is the tendency for our dogs. Always exceptions of course, we had a male out of our first litter that was a dual national champion at 18months in his 2nd ever agility trial.

Whip was 3.5 when we finally started to settle down and work nicely, there was no way he was ready to trial at 18months. All our girls have been though.

Regardless, I prefer the boys. I love the snuggly, "I'd do anything for you" attitude of them and as far as I am concerned I need to love the dog I live with, that is my first priority, performance maturity comes 2nd in importance. Tailwag prefers the girls and their independence and focus on the task at hand, so it works out pretty well. I have the males, she has the females :)

I have a male dog who never cocks his leg on anything. It's not male dogs, it's the owners who are letting or not letting them do this. Also my female is the one who will be inclined to mark, she tries to back up trees sometimes!

Edited by Dame Aussie

I think it's mainly because people who want a pet dog are embarrassed by male dog's erection. They don't want to see a penis on view as will often happen at inopportune times with male dogs.

Huh. :confused: I have owned 7 entire male dogs (4 different breeds) and have never seen this happen unless they had a bitch to mate. When does it happen otherwise? I have also never had a make that humped anything other than a bitch.

As for being unclean, I find males faster and easier to housetrain and the girls have always marked outside just as much as the boys.

Some people have some really weird ideas. I find that puppy buyers tend to have heard that girls make the best pets but once the temperaments are explained they come round and are happy to take a boy as there are always way more boys available for sale than girls.

You've never seen a male dog sitting with a little part of red penis poking out? Really?

I wasn't referring to a full blown, humping erection. I've actually never seen a dog in that state though I doubt it would bother me unless I was in the company of the ladies church group.

Though most of my dogs have been female I certainly don't think males are unclean. I've had a male GSD and my current male Cavalier. Both boys have been very clean dogs and I have never seen the red penis in either of them.

My male Cav will sit on my lap if I'm sitting on the couch but I don't pick up my dogs. On the rare occasions I need to pick one of them up I place one hand on their bottom and the other hand holding the chest between the front legs so I don't quite figure how a penis would get in the way of picking up a male dog unless they're being picked up around the stomach/abdomen area.

I've been researching for years now and it's not odd, I would like to give showing a try maybe and I've been told it'll be easier for me because I actually want a dog and not a bitch.

I've had both and as much as I loved my girl I really really want a dog this time.

I've seen plenty of ads of all sorts of breeds where dogs are priced lower than bitches.

I think people also have the impression that dogs will pee all over the place as well as the 'you can't scratch their belly without touching their penis', people are weird, I used to scratch my dogs belly all the time, it's no different, you just tend to go either side when scratching length ways.

Oh there is also that thing about 'if it doesn't turn out you can always breed them' mentality. It's huge in horse circles and people have the same idea when they get into dogs.

Edited by shapeshifter

I personally prefer male dogs. The male dogs I've had have had 'nicer' temperaments, and just suit what I like better. A bit of dog penis doesn't bother me at all!

Reggie's favourite belly rub spot is just above the doodle...... Have could you deny him such pleasure? :laugh:

Come to think of it I've always seemed drawn to male animals. Unfortunately I seem to end up with girls :p

My first dog Sadie, was supposed to be her brother. I (11) wanted a boy, dad said no, another boy dog would be too much for our family dog Rocky..... Lol Sadie is one of the most bitchy, dominant dogs I know! Rocky wouldn't come anywhere near her for weeks! And she was always the boss.

My youngest dog Smudge was supposed to be a boy too. Lol things that smudge was supposed to be- male, from a breeder, super chilled personality, dog friendly, long haired..... She is wonderful though! If she had a penis she'd probably be perfect ;)

My next dog WILL be a male! (That's what I'm planning anyway!)

I personally prefer male dogs, I find them more affectionate where females tend to be more happy to do their own thing (in my experience anyway).

When I was getting Nova and told people I was getting a boy I got HEAPS of people going "Eww" etc, I couldn't believe the bias! The stupidest reasons where that "you can't give them belly rubs", "They piss in the house", "They hump people", "They smell more".

My boys 18 months, intact and doesn't pee in inappropriate places or hump anything! He went through a humping toy stage as a baby puppy then grew out of it. Not sure where the "smell more" bit comes from, and the penis is easy to dodge for belly rubs laugh.gif

Oh sorry, the other week at dog training he took a drink out of the paddle pool then peed in it embarrass.gif But that's the worst thing he does.

Edited by LisaCC

We are about to get our first girl.

We have two boys one entire one desexed.

Have to say as far as I can recall neither has shown his lipstick.

Our entire male is a ummm big boy (let's say if he was human I think he would be rather proud).

I've never actually thought about either of the boys bits when I give them a belly rub or a hug any more than I think about my sons boy bits when I give him a belly rub. Hahahaha joking when I give him a hug.

It's just not something that has ever crossed my mind but then maybe that's because our household is an all male household apart from me.

2 male dogs

2 male cats

2 male humans

And me and the new girl we pick up tomorrow.

All the boys except the husband all all sooks.

So will be interesting to see what the new girl is like.

I recently met a male dog who pleasures himself, although I have to say it didn't look pleasurable, he seemed to be chewing it off. I've never seen a dog do what he did before, it was certainly an education for me.

To make you laugh, the Great Aunt had a CKCS girl that only ever humped her toys when there were guests and then tried to lick herself into the next world.

Talk about break up a party

:eek:

In my previous breed it was girls only as me and the males just didn't work ( I like Velcro dogs )

In a Whippets I would choose a boy over a girl for what I want one for. My boys LOVE to try their hardest to do as I ask and will work their socks off. I have two entire males who are best buds.

I love my bitch but she is more independant she will still try very hard to work her best for me but needs more of a good reason to do so. She is also a bitch. She has and will put holes in the boys, she is the fun police and will stop the boys playing if they are in the yard together.

If dogs get in her face she nails them which means holes and blood and potential a dog that will turn on her. She territory marks as much as the boys if not more. The boys have never cocked their leg in the house - she has!

Honestly I don't think you could pay me to have another female dog.

Boys are so much more devoted and cuddly!

Rosie is a beeotch. And she too lifts her leg and does the half handstand. She's also cunning, a plotter and a thief. She's nuts! Haha.

I personally prefer male dogs. The male dogs I've had have had 'nicer' temperaments, and just suit what I like better. A bit of dog penis doesn't bother me at all!

Reggie's favourite belly rub spot is just above the doodle...... Have could you deny him such pleasure? :laugh:

Come to think of it I've always seemed drawn to male animals. Unfortunately I seem to end up with girls :p

My first dog Sadie, was supposed to be her brother. I (11) wanted a boy, dad said no, another boy dog would be too much for our family dog Rocky..... Lol Sadie is one of the most bitchy, dominant dogs I know! Rocky wouldn't come anywhere near her for weeks! And she was always the boss.

My youngest dog Smudge was supposed to be a boy too. Lol things that smudge was supposed to be- male, from a breeder, super chilled personality, dog friendly, long haired..... She is wonderful though! If she had a penis she'd probably be perfect ;)

My next dog WILL be a male! (That's what I'm planning anyway!)

My male dogs have had nicer temperaments than my female dogs too! Though that could also come down to where they were sourced.

And both female dogs I have had cocked their legs just as much as the males :laugh:

I recently met a male dog who pleasures himself, although I have to say it didn't look pleasurable, he seemed to be chewing it off. I've never seen a dog do what he did before, it was certainly an education for me.

Oh yes, I have one of these... Intact 4 year old boy, couldn't believe it when I first saw him do it. Thought I got it wrong, until a few days later I saw him from start to finish... Ummm, not something I'm terribly proud of, just pray he never does it at a show, lol :o ...

I am not fussed either way, however we did buy a girl dog because we only had male non fur children and I wanted to use the "girl" name I had always loved.

Girl dogs hump as well and our girl could cock her leg with the best of them.