Interrogation By Breeder

Perfume

Yes it is - it is up to both the buyer and the breeder.

Sorry, but if the buyer does not meet the breeder's expectations they can choose to not sell the pup, regardless of whether the buyer wants to go ahead.

Ultimately, it is up to the breeder, she is responsible for bringing the pups into the world. This case in particular isn't that the breeder doesn't want to sell me the pup, she's a little too over the top. What I look like or what the inside of my home looks like proves absolutely nothing.

Edited by Perfume

+1 for the breeder.

When we went through this I filled out a questionnaire that was quite a few pages long and had at least 5 long conversations with him over the phone. We still touch base once a year after nearly 7 of having our dog, The second one we got from him was way easier although he did choose the dog for us from his litter and without doubt it was the perfect match and the perfect second dog for us. :heart::heart:

(Come to think of it, he picked out our first dog too :love:)

Breeders who care and love their pups like this will give you support and advice for the life of the dog. They are a special group of people.

• Haha 1

If I were a breeder I would be doing the exact same thing, speak to them, ask them questions and get a feel of things and go with my gut instinct.

Breeders who ask no questions and don't appear to care put me off.

So why the post about being interrogated, if you would do the same thing in her place?

My bad, I shouldn't have said I would do the "exact" same thing. I certainly would not request photos of themselves or photos of the inside of their home, I wouldn't ask about what "drives" them, what their passions are. The questions I would ask would be more doggie related, I would want to get a fair idea of how much knowledge they have about about their chosen breed, if they've had experience with dogs, what breeds they've owned in the past if any, general knowledge on dogs, what they would opt to feed the dog, etc etc.

There is getting to know the puppy buyers and going over the top.

Aside from showing you have suitable fencing and keep a clean house. Photos of you and the house are not going to prove you are necessarily a better/responsible pet lover/owner than the next person.

I know people who have a dingy looking house and are a little rough around the edges being excellent responsible pet owners, and I know people who keep immaculate house and yard and I would not even sell them a flea off my dog.

The only real way to know of your puppy is going to a good home, is to get to know them over time. Even then it is no guarantee they will do the right thing by your dogs.

My thoughts too however although I would think this all a little odd if I wanted the puppy I would agree to it.

The breeder may have had bad experiences in the past & may want this for reassurance.

Sometimes people do lie a lot.

On the few occasions I have re homed a young adult I have done a home visit beforehand.

Sorry, but if the buyer does not meet the breeder's expectations they can choose to not sell the pup, regardless of whether the buyer wants to go ahead.

Ultimately, it is up to the breeder, she is responsible for bringing the pups into the world. This case in particular isn't that the breeder doesn't want to sell me the pup, she's a little too over the top. What I look like or what the inside of my home looks like proves absolutely nothing.

It will help towards proving to the breeder that you are genuine. Are you not able to visit and meet her?

It will help towards proving to the breeder that you are genuine. Are you not able to visit and meet her?

The breeder is interstate. I know that some people are willing to make the trip but for me it's an impossibility atm.

I guess they're trying to get a mental picture of you. If you said you run 50 km a week and your photo doesn't match then they might smell a rat. Given they might have to take the dog back if the home doesn't work out then I suppose they're doing the best they can.

They might be trying to match you to the pup, if you're a quiet bookworm then if the puppies a rough and tumble nightmare then that might not work.

If I was a breeder I wouldn't home dogs to lovely decorator homes, all my puppies would go to grotty, messy houses with dog eaten couches.

It may be more a case of thinking you have something to hide if you don't want to share pics with her. As she can't meet you in person it's one way of showing her you are being open and honest with her. I too would be more concerned about sending a puppy to an immaculate house then a house with normal household mess. She's not the clean police, what does it matter if she sees pics of the inside of your house really? If it were me I would go a step further and offer to FaceTime with her so she can have a virtual tour of the house and also see you in real time.

I've facetimed a few of my puppy buyers so they can see their pup. Each time the puppy buyers have given me a bit of a tour without me asking or suggesting it, but they usually want to show me where the puppy will sleep plus their backyard plus all the new toys they have bought lol

When she ask what drives you etc it may be that she's just wanting to get to know you - it's not a pass/fail thing. It's a way of learning who you are. Same for the pics of you, it puts a face to the name for her.

Almost all my puppies are rehomed far away as I live in a remote area. So meeting the owners prior to selling them a puppy is not usually an option.

I run a rescue and part of the process is an actual physical inspection of their yard prior to the adoption being approved. So to adopt a dog from us you will have someone we know tramping thru your house and yard. It's the only way we can be certain the yard is securely fenced. If you have nothing to hide I don't think it's that big a deal. We aren't checking to see if the floors are vacuumed and beds made, it's about checking to see if it's a secure and appropriate environment for the dog.

If you do all the requests the breeder has asked of you it may just tip the scales in your favour, I don't think that 'interrogation' is the correct word I think that 'gathering important info' may be a more appropriate.

Just out of interest: when I emailed a breeder who had advertised Daisy for sale (as an older dog) I sent photos of the house, yard, fences as well as the living quarters of our house as well as a potted history of our current lives. I only did this as I had read here that it is the way to go, I am pretty sure that this is what tipped the scales for me.

If someone does a home-check for a rescue dog there is a questionnaire that is pretty comprehensive.

I reckon just do it, if you really want the dog you will jump through all the hoops the breeder throws at you, (though a photo of you is a little odd).

Well said :) Indigirl .

It may be more a case of thinking you have something to hide if you don't want to share pics with her. As she can't meet you in person it's one way of showing her you are being open and honest with her. I too would be more concerned about sending a puppy to an immaculate house then a house with normal household mess. She's not the clean police, what does it matter if she sees pics of the inside of your house really? If it were me I would go a step further and offer to FaceTime with her so she can have a virtual tour of the house and also see you in real time.

I've facetimed a few of my puppy buyers so they can see their pup. Each time the puppy buyers have given me a bit of a tour without me asking or suggesting it, but they usually want to show me where the puppy will sleep plus their backyard plus all the new toys they have bought lol

When she ask what drives you etc it may be that she's just wanting to get to know you - it's not a pass/fail thing. It's a way of learning who you are. Same for the pics of you, it puts a face to the name for her.

I think the photo or yourself is the one I would feel a little offputting, but they may have their reasons, I suppose you have to decide if its worth it.

My dog came from interstate and I had to send pics of my yard, my current dogs and had several lengthy conversations with the breeders to convince them I was ok.

They had been burnt before after sending a dog interstate then finding it chained to a tree when they visited later.

I think the photo or yourself is the one I would feel a little offputting, but they may have their reasons, I suppose you have to decide if its worth it.

My dog came from interstate and I had to send pics of my yard, my current dogs and had several lengthy conversations with the breeders to convince them I was ok.

They had been burnt before after sending a dog interstate then finding it chained to a tree when they visited later.

As a rescuer, in addition to thorough interviewing, nothing beats a homecheck and regular follow up with the adopters, things can still go wrong but at least you've done everything humanly possible to try and make sure it's a good home for the dog.

I'm glad the breeder's trying to be thorough - there should be more of it!

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad

House and Yard photos: I was asked to provide them for my new dog, and my Mum was asked to provide them 13 years ago for our labrador.

The photo of yourself is a bit odd but I can imagine some reasons, I also think asking about your drives and motivations is a good question, it gives insight on how the dog may live in the future, not right now when it's shiny and new.

Not at all saying you would do this but there are lots of cases of people buying a dog with all good intentions, then something happens, they get an intense job, they have children etc and they decide the dog is the least important thing now and it gets turned into a lawn ornament.