Pets Die In Sa Boarding Kennel Fire

Sheridan

Oh Jed... my heart goes out to you reading all of this... it must be so hard for you. Thinking of you right now with a few tears of my own for what all this brings back to mind.

I hope you are hanging in there OK, and not dwelling on some of the posts speculating on what happened. Not many here can really know how it feels to lose their beloved pets in this manner.

Stay strong my friend.

T.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Wildthing

This brings back terrible memories for me as I lived through the Canberra fires of 2004 and was in the main area that was hit. I was extremely lucky that my house, but most of all, none of the animals I had were hurt in any way. Every time there are catastrophic fires somewhere, it brings the memories flooding back. You learn to live with it, but never get over it. I am paranoid about a house fire every time I go out. That is made worse if I am on my way home when I see a fire truck coming from the direction of my place. There have been 2 houses affected by fire in my street. My heart goes out to everyone involved in the fires and particularly those who have lost something.

I cannot read the news articles, it is too emotional.

After the 2009 fires it took a very long time for me to be able to leave the dogs home alone. Even now I only leave them for a long time alone if I know that the neighbours are home, as they are able to get the dogs out if something should happen.

Oh Jed... my heart goes out to you reading all of this... it must be so hard for you. Thinking of you right now with a few tears of my own for what all this brings back to mind.

I hope you are hanging in there OK, and not dwelling on some of the posts speculating on what happened. Not many here can really know how it feels to lose their beloved pets in this manner.

Stay strong my friend.

T.

+1

:love:

Jed, this must be a harrowing story for you. Be kind to yourself - don't be afraid to talk to someone if you find it brings too much to the surface.

The tragedy of boarding kennels and catteries is that they are typically in non urban areas, so more prone to being affected by bushfires. I think it would be a sensible thing for any client to ask them what their fire and evacuation plans are.

At the very least they should have a trailer with multiple crates secured into it, ready to go at any time.

Those poor dogs and cats. My hat goes off to the CFS and all other emergency services. When so many others are turning to leave, they are heading into the danger.

The RSPCA in Canberra was badly affected by the 2003 bushfires and many animal lives were lost.

https://www.facebook.com/letshelpteatreegullyboardingandcattery?fref=ts

Tragedy means support is needed after the event.

Just be careful, isn't set up by the company, it's been set up by someone named Olivia Kmet and judging by the email address for the paypal account, it's hers. Her intentions are probably completely honourable but be sure of who you are donating to.

I would not give money to any person who claims to be taking donations. Who on earth is Olivia Kmet and where does she fit in to the scheme of things? There was someone else on Facebook who said they were taking donations but I can't remember the name.

The boarding kennel owners insurance will cover the business, both property and loss of income and also their house.

I would donate only to the Red Cross and/or the Salvation Army. They'll be at the coal face helping people.

I saw this when I was using my ipad. The image was for the Kennels.

I merely posted the link.

I did not imply nor suggest donating as I had not even read the notes.

If there were no replies here, I feel more that the link should be deleted.

I happen to agree with the comments.

:cry:

You can also donate to the CFS Foundation - they help the members and families of fire fighters who are harmed or killed in the line of duty. Several have lost their homes this time around. And fairly recently in a different fire - one was killed.

http://www.cfsfoundation.org.au/

But I also second donating to the red cross.

I do love how various forms of social media are linking people who want to help - with people who need it.

Just be careful, isn't set up by the company, it's been set up by someone named Olivia Kmet and judging by the email address for the paypal account, it's hers. Her intentions are probably completely honourable but be sure of who you are donating to.

I would not give money to any person who claims to be taking donations. Who on earth is Olivia Kmet and where does she fit in to the scheme of things? There was someone else on Facebook who said they were taking donations but I can't remember the name.

The boarding kennel owners insurance will cover the business, both property and loss of income and also their house.

I would donate only to the Red Cross and/or the Salvation Army. They'll be at the coal face helping people.

I'm sorry but if this is taken as not caring. GoFundMe = Dodgy, non-refundable, and untraceable. Please Beware. They run to take a %, not to protect donors from rorts.

& If you're an Australian without relevant state charitable approval or a taxable business your use of crowdfunding is illegal. Paypal will freeze the money forever if they catch you. (not having a go at you viszlamomma, I hope people read here before 'donating')

It's totally odd to be collecting for a business anyway. Most states require boarding kennels to have an evacuation plan as well so the whole thing is a preventable waste of life.

I'm sad and angry, wishing something was done to prevent it, and could be done now for the pet owners, for the nightmare, and the poor animals. The owners who have to live forever with what has happened to their pets. :cry: I can't imagine the grief and sadness they feel. Wishing peace to them all. :heart: :heart:

From what I understand the kennel owner is a CFS volunteer and was out fighng fires. The RSPCA was meant to come and evacuate the kennel but the roads were closed due to fire and no one was allowed in to the area.. Owners believed the animals were safe butt then wind changed direction. Owners own aniamls died in the fire. Owner was not allowed back in to get to the anaimls either. I just hope the aniamls were dead before the flames reached them.

I'm not sure this page is still taking money. When I first looked there was an email address for paypal but it might be gone now. I did notice early on that any comments suggesting it might not be a good idea to donate to it were quickly removed.

Pretty devastating all round, I feel sad for the pets, and the owners of those pets. While I feel for the owners, I just wish they had been more proactive.

I'm sure a lot of funding pages will be set up for the fires, most will be legit but some will be scams unfortunately

I've edited to add a warning about the descriptive text... sorry Kirislin...

T.

Not your fault, I didn't mean that. Last night I was watching the news and without warning they flashed up a photo that was distressing to see. I wont say what it was, anyone who watched 9 news at 5pm probably knows what I'm talking about. Maybe I just need to harden up.

From what I understand the kennel owner is a CFS volunteer and was out fighng fires. The RSPCA was meant to come and evacuate the kennel but the roads were closed due to fire and no one was allowed in to the area.. Owners believed the animals were safe butt then wind changed direction. Owners own aniamls died in the fire. Owner was not allowed back in to get to the anaimls either. I just hope the aniamls were dead before the flames reached them.

That's another story from those originally posted.

I am sure their insurance company will be doing a thorough investigation - I would certainly hope so. Whilst I totally disagree with posting hateful and condemnatory post on FB or anywhere else, I can only say that if I had a boarding kennels nestled in the hills and forests with upwards of 100 animals there, I'd be evacuating or at least have a cattle train sized truck ready to do so at the first sign the fires might be a danger. I don't know that losing their own animals can be cited as any sort of mitigating factor. This has been a horrible tragedy and I do believe the owners needed to be more proactive.

Maybe I just need to harden up.

No you don't. TV programs need to be more responsible and emply some decency in not showing horror simply for ratings and titillation :mad . Sadly, there are people who get off on seeing death and destruction and the more the better.