Sale Of Animals On Gumtree

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not quite convinced that advertising animals on Gumtree is any different to advertising animals on Dogzonline :confused: I am sure Gumtree is not just limited to back yard & shonky breeders. I can't see why an ethical breeder shouldn't be allowed to advertise their puppies wherever they like. Quite a bit different to Pet shops.

Sometimes I think if you make ethical and responsible breeders too difficult to find, people new to the world of purebred dogs are more likely to choose a BYB. IMO, you can advertise on Gumtree and still be an ethical breeder, the two aren't mutually exclusive.

First place I ever looked to buy a dog was Gumtree. It ended up directing me to looking up breeders.

But that's just me.

I honestly think breeders should be able to advertise wherever they want - the profit margin on most breeds (unless they are the RARE! RARE!! SILVER LABRADORS or the BLUE Staffies) is pretty low. And a first time dog owner without a clue is likely to check Gumtree first.

First place I ever looked to buy a dog was Gumtree. It ended up directing me to looking up breeders.

But that's just me.

I honestly think breeders should be able to advertise wherever they want - the profit margin on most breeds (unless they are the RARE! RARE!! SILVER LABRADORS or the BLUE Staffies) is pretty low. And a first time dog owner without a clue is likely to check Gumtree first.

Or most of the oodles- especially the larger ones..

They typically have very large litters and sell pups for $$$.

I checked the trading post firstly, which led me to finding registered breeders, but its pretty much the same as gumtree.

I got interested to see what West Highland Terriers there are for sale, I always thought that if parents are registered the pups must be registered also or is that only if one has a prefix? I was also under the impression that if the dog and bitch are purchased on the Limited register they are not to be bred.

The ad proves me wrong.

Sometimes I think if you make ethical and responsible breeders too difficult to find, people new to the world of purebred dogs are more likely to choose a BYB. IMO, you can advertise on Gumtree and still be an ethical breeder, the two aren't mutually exclusive.

Maybe Gumtree could set out some requirements ?

Why would I want people to be stopped from advertising their puppies on gumtree or anywhere else?

Some of the nicest and best people who have taken my puppies over the last 40 plus years have originally found me via gumtree. Ive also had a couple of rotten ones including 2 today who found me from dogz.

Edited by Steve

Sounds sensible to me.

i don't agree with stopping it, i would prefer gumtree to put up a page on what to look for in an ad, they surely know by now multiple breeds for sale under one listing etc are puppy farms, perhaps that would be a better way to go.

I got interested to see what West Highland Terriers there are for sale, I always thought that if parents are registered the pups must be registered also or is that only if one has a prefix? I was also under the impression that if the dog and bitch are purchased on the Limited register they are not to be bred.

The ad proves me wrong.

Boronia, you are correct in that Limited Register means the pups have come from Main Registered parents, but the breeder has decided that they are not to be bred from. I believe that in all states now, ANKC affiliate registered breeders are required to register each litter. The Certificate of Registration (the Pedigree certificate) issued by the CC for Limited Register pups has stamped across it Not for Breeding or Export . (I haven't investigated, but I'm assuming the ban on export does not apply when the registered owner of the dog wants to move overseas and take the dog with them.)

There is no official requirement from the registering body that Limit Register dogs must be desexed, but in order to compete in any of the ANKC performance disciplines, Limited Register dogs and bitches not on a Main, Limited or Sporting Register must be desexed to be registered on the Associate Register.

Edited to correct information - thanks to Jules P -

Edited by Tassie

Just because the dogs have main registration doesn't mean the breeder is a member or registered with the CC and has to register the pups and once you own a dog you can breed if you want whether it has limited or papers or not.

There is no official requirement from the registering body that Limit Register dogs must be desexed, but in order to compete in any of the performance disciplines, Limited Register dogs and bitches must be desexed.

Dogs on the Associate Registry have to be desexed but I can't say I have ever heard that rule for the Limit Registry. Couldn't find it in the rules ether, which is not surprising. Do you know where that rule is Tassie?

Edited by JulesP

There is no official requirement from the registering body that Limit Register dogs must be desexed, but in order to compete in any of the performance disciplines, Limited Register dogs and bitches must be desexed.

Dogs on the Associate Registry have to be desexed but I can't say I have ever heard that rule for the Limit Registry. Couldn't find it in the rules ether, which is not surprising. Do you know where that rule is Tassie?

Sorry, Jules - you're quite right. I knew when I was typing that that it didn't seem right - but couldn't work out why. Thank you for helping sort the old brain out. WIll go back and fix it :laugh:

I am not quite convinced that advertising animals on Gumtree is any different to advertising animals on Dogzonline :confused: I am sure Gumtree is not just limited to back yard & shonky breeders. I can't see why an ethical breeder shouldn't be allowed to advertise their puppies wherever they like. Quite a bit different to Pet shops.

I agree with Sheena, if good breeders don't advertise where the public look then the shonky ones will have the market to themselves.

Just because the dogs have main registration doesn't mean the breeder is a member or registered with the CC and has to register the pups and once you own a dog you can breed if you want whether it has limited or papers or not.

Yes - which is why some ANKC registered breeders are desexing their Limited Register pups before they leave (especially if they have a breed likely to be farmed or BYB or cross-bred. Which presents problems for purchasers wanting dogs for performance events as well as pets and/or concerned about the possible impact of early desexing.