Turn Offs For Dog Names.

RallyValley

and, YES! to this

Teach your dog to recall to a whistle - no shouting necessary :laugh:

Except I can't whistle, I think I'm the only person on the planet that can't :laugh:

Edited by minimax

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and, YES! to this

Except I can't whistle, I think I'm the only person on the planet that can't :laugh:

I dunno, my mum whistles by sucking air in...it's the weirdest sound ever

and, YES! to this

This interests me and I just made a poll in OT laugh.gif

So do I. It seems to work. I can't do it the other way.

most of my dogs have sort of named themselves:

Brian Custard O'Doggle ( named Brian O'Doggle after a very good friend Brian O'Donnell and his good dog Fats) Custard after he fled from two charging strays leaping 8 month old child to hide in the back section of the pram.. it was hilariously funny and so Custard he became.

Morris.. we thought of all sort of names for him until finally when he was about 14 weeks old my son and i turned to each other and said simultaneously he is called Morris.. and the pup looked at us with that canine expression of superiority that says " at last ! I cannot believ that they can be so slow on the uptake and still survive)

Lucinda and her brother Oscar

Magali and her pups: Felice, Dennys Dog ( as opposed to spouse Denis God) Guiness McGuinness ( cos he like to watch) Joel, Jacob,Joshua, Angelina, Angel, Honey 1 and 2, The Bear, Casper, Rosie o'Gradey, Jake, Snotto ( somehow that has just stuck no matter how hard i try to change it) Gina and Grace,

Hairy Harry Huge arrived as Ari and his name grew upon him

and so it goes.. often they develop multiple names of affection because i sing them their own little songs that i make up..

and yes I am possibly quite nutty.. ok make that totally nutty

H

I have Franklin picked out for my next dog, named after the footy player Buddy Franklin :o.

A friend named his dog Buddy, and when his housemate got a puppy they named him Franklin to suit lol :)

There are way too many of them around but my Diesel deserves his name. Anyone with a bit of mechanical knowledge agrees....he's laggy, his emissions are potentially toxic but he has plenty of low-down torque and can pull like a freight train.

That is excellent, gave me a good giggle!

I love human names for pets. My boy is called Gus and it suits him as when I picture a human with the name Gus I think of a stubborn old man and that's exactly what he is lol.

Another friend has quite a collection of lizards and snakes and their names include Karen, Doris, Simon and Garth.

When I was young my family had a cat called Lucky and he actually was.. he found his way under the bonnet of the car for a nap one day and dad started it without realising and his tail was cut off in the fan, he was run over twice (not by anyone in the family), was blind, deaf and was bitten by a snake, surviving all of it only to die peacefully of old age.

My sister let her young kids name one of their dogs....so therefor she had a 'Funny Face' Arghh imagine yelling that one out.

My daughters BF has a snake named Fluffy and my daughters snake is Fuzzball.

I like weird old fashioned names for animals such as Percy, Gilbert, Cyril, Cecil, Cuthbert...but I haven't actually used any of them....yet.

I am a people name kind of person when it comes to pets :)

We have had Arizon, Zeus and Mason.

Natasha - whom I didn't name, and Angel - who was a brilliant dog. Her rego'd name was D Heaven Sent. I wanted to call her after an angel and cracked it after I discovered all Angels were men and decided they were bloody sexist.

We now have Rommi and Lewis ( I often call my young son Lewis) and Goose.

The cats have been Arnie, Dennis, Chevy and Boris.

Currently we have Boo, Harrison Barney (Harry), and Merlin and Arthur - whom I didn't name but like the names all the same :)

The sheep are Sambuca - Sam ( and I don't drink) and Baart Anthony Morris John ( Collective from the kids and friends ).

Alpaca's are Anzac - Zac and Matilda.

I would never have a Molly or Bella. I don't like coomon names for dogs or kids and remember getting rather annoyed when after naming our son that 5 children of the same name appeared in our local paper withing 6 months of him being born. Seems it is actually rather popular. The other I have only heard once.

There is a young Irish terrier that comes into the kennels called Kevin and it suits him :)

Edited by OSoSwift

I named a champagne coloured rescue poodle pup Moet once... and no-one enquiring about her could pronounce it... somehow I don't think many of them had ever drunk it either... lol!

How did they pronounce it?

They tended to ask for "the poodle pup with the funny name - how do you say that?"

T.

When I was little we had a Bichon called Moet :D (pronounced Moey)

I would never have a Molly or Bella. I don't like coomon names for dogs or kids and remember getting rather annoyed when after naming our son that 5 children of the same name appeared in our local paper withing 6 months of him being born. Seems it is actually rather popular. The other I have only heard once.

See that is the problem and I think some people are too quick to judge "popular" names, thinking people call them that because they think it is popular.

I wasn't exposed to the "dog world" at the time I got my first Lab, so I hadn't heard of a single dog around (nor kid at that stage) called Ruby. I thought it was a beautiful name suggested by my mum, so went with it immediately, not thinking every other Tom, Dick and Harry had a Ruby. Now there is a Ruby at every dog park, obedience class and every second new baby girl is called Ruby. Sigh! I still love it though, and don't regret using it one bit :)

There is a woman in our agility circuit, who calls one of her dogs "Bucket". Now of course you are not allowed to swear on course, but when she gets frustrated & angry on course & calls out "Bucket", we all know what she means. :laugh:

There is a woman in our agility circuit, who calls one of her dogs "Bucket". Now of course you are not allowed to swear on course, but when she gets frustrated & angry on course & calls out "Bucket", we all know what she means. :laugh:

It's BOUQUET! :D

This wouldn't be the same person whose older trialing dog is called Frigate :laugh: ?

I don't like really common names, which sounds a bit weird coming from someone whose dog is named Bella, but she came with the name and I never got around to changing it. I like names that are a bit different, I'd like my next Saluki to be called 'Emrys' if its a male. I prefer 'people names' mostly, but there are exceptions.

Edited by salukibel

I don't like really common names, which sounds a bit weird coming from someone who's dog is named Bella, but she came with the name and I never got around to changing it. I like names that are a bit different, I'd like my next Saluki to be called 'Emrys' if its a male. I prefer 'people names' mostly, but there are exceptions.

I have a Lucy, and that has to be in the top ten most popular female dog names too. Bella is bella, it suits her :)