One If My Dogs Has Been Hospitalised

Rascalmyshadow

We've seen a lot of weird parvo type diseases in rescue this year. So scary! Hope your boy has a quick recovery!

Just out of interest since we never know this answer in rescue, was your boy vaccinated and still got it? You don't have to answer that if you'd prefer not to

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you all it is confirmed parvovirus but the symptoms are not exactly the same as usually seen. The vets think he will pull though as long as we keep up the care

awwww bugger. :(

IV fluids seem to be a key issue in recovery from parvo. Your boy is in the best possible place for a good recovery. Wishing him all the best.

W

Hope your little fellow makes it. I recall you saying that you babysat the neighbours dog - how soon after did it get sick? Just thinking about contamination of your yard and house :eek: :eek: Words cannot describe what kind of asshole your neighbour is letting that poor pup die in agony

Edited by frufru

Horrible news for you but I'm glad you have a diagnosis and got in quick to help your fur baby. I would be visiting your neighbour with a vet bill. He may not pay it but he needs to develop some awareness of how sick his own dog was and how the lack of medical assessment and treatment has put your dogs at risk. Not acceptable.

Thank you all it is confirmed parvovirus but the symptoms are not exactly the same as usually seen. The vets think he will pull though as long as we keep up the care

Wishing him all the best that he pulls through with your prompt care. Can I ask how old he is and when he was last vaccinated. I've heard of vaccinated dogs contracting parvo before and it frightens me. To think that heartless man next door let his puppy die a slow death without any veterinary support makes me sick.

Many have told me that Parvo is not usually dangerous in adult dogs of medium to large size if they have been vaccinated as pups? Not sure how true this is but I do know of one adult GSD who tested positive for Parvo by stool culture with no visible symptoms of illness?

Ok I'm going to get flamed but all this time I thought he was vaccinated he wasn't. When I worked at the vet I thought he had his vaccine done when he was desexed, because I worked there I never bothered with vaccination cards I just left the info on the computer and didn't think to check it.

I rang them this morning and found out there is no record on the system.

He is only two and at 2.7kgs he can't afford to lose weight.

I am so upset with my neighbour my husband has had words with him, I can't face him because I will lose it.

My dogs are everything to me and I've made a huge mistake that could cost my dog his life.

Ok I'm going to get flamed but all this time I thought he was vaccinated he wasn't. When I worked at the vet I thought he had his vaccine done when he was desexed, because I worked there I never bothered with vaccination cards I just left the info on the computer and didn't think to check it.

I am so upset with my neighbour my husband has had words with him, I can't face him because I will lose it.

My dogs are everything to me and I've made a huge mistake that could cost my dog his life.

Breathe deep. You beating yourself up won't help your dog now.

When you are calmer, your neighbour needs to understand that his failure to attend to his pup's sickness has placed your dogs are risk AND, very importantly, any pup brought into his yard or yours for the next 12 months.

Oh no! :( It was a terrible oversight. I hope you dont beat yourself up about this. Working at a vet clinic you never would have deliberately not bothered to have it done. I really hope he can pull through, he must be so tiny. I think my puppy is small but she's almost twice his size. You've got onto it quickly and he is being supported by fluids. I really hope he can pull through for you.

Until you've dealt with the insidiousness that is parvo, you truly don't understand. Yes you made a mistake and one you will beat yourself up for forever but anyone who flames you for it needs a boot up the arse. Parvo is a vile disease that is spread so easily that even when careful it can come into your home and your life. I KNOW, through painful experience, how it feels to live with a mistake that brings parvo into your house, I know how it feels to feel contaminated and diseased, I can look at photos of me taken when we had our issues with parvo and I can't see an ounce of happiness in any of the photos, I see only parvo. Know this though, you DO get past those feelings and things will get better and improve.

Hugs to you and your family during this time. Your little guy is where he needs to be, receiving the treatment he needs to receive. You can't do more now.

Until you've dealt with the insidiousness that is parvo, you truly don't understand. Yes you made a mistake and one you will beat yourself up for forever but anyone who flames you for it needs a boot up the arse. Parvo is a vile disease that is spread so easily that even when careful it can come into your home and your life.

Trisven is so right. I remember when my rottie had it and I made a quarantine area at the vet clinic (I was the nurse) and the boss shouted at me for scare mongering when visitors wandered through :(

Coronavirus has similar symptoms and is more difficult to treat then Parvo, it can be mistaken for it a lot of the time. Your little one will pull through, persist and don't give up no matter how thin he gets. My rottie pup took three weeks before he could eat a teaspoon of food but he pulled through.