Breed Recommendations?

denali

I have a friend who wants to get a dog.

He is looking for a small to medium breed, that is easy to look after, good travellers, isn't too fluffy or feminine looking,

happy to exercise but also ok to be left at home while he is at work without destroying everything.

Grooming is also something he is ok with.

i know a lot of it is management and training, but breeds help too :)

so any suggestions would be great!

I know a couple of Frenchies that fit that description pretty well.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a friend who wants to get a dog.

He is looking for a small to medium breed, that is easy to look after, good travellers, isn't too fluffy or feminine looking,

happy to exercise but also ok to be left at home while he is at work without destroying everything.

Grooming is also something he is ok with.

i know a lot of it is management and training, but breeds help too :)

so any suggestions would be great!

I know a couple of Frenchies that fit that description pretty well.

I agree, I have two Frenchies, both female, one 2 yrs and the other 18 weeks old.

They are wonderful breeds, not too feminine, our 2 yr old always gets called 'He'.

Both are great in the car and love going everywhere with us. Both love adventures, walking, swimming and are very outgoing. But our 2 year old was amazing as a pup and didnt destroy anything and is very comfortable being on her own and is very independent, where our 18 wk old pup, she is VERY different in personality, HATES being left on her own, gets very anxious and has chewed chunks off the door-frames in the house when we werent home. Their personalities could not be any more different, they are like chalk and cheese! Weird considering they are both the same breed and both females.

But other than that, they are not very destructive and would reccomend Frenchies in a heartbeat to anyone!

So regardless of what breed your friend picks, make sure they spend time with a good breeder in order for them to help pick a pup who's personality fits with them. :)

Edited by Sares

I would probably look into an adult dog if your friend is after low energy and low destruction potential as an adult dog will have an already known size and temp and if it comes from a good source a lot of the training will have been taken care of already as well

I'd second PBGV, or even have a look at Standard Wirehaired Dachshunds. Stunning dogs. Not too low energy I suppose, but short legs mean they are easy to keep up with on walks!

Or Basset hounds for similar reasons - although they are normally considered large dogs... Energy on smaller legs can be easier to deal with sometimes!

Or go genuine low energy and look for a Pekingese.

Are health criteria important to your friend? If so I would steer away from the Frenchie and Bulldog unless they are in a position to be very selective about breeders. High popularity and rareness of free whelping tend to make these breeds super expensive, and high prices have attracted a lot of for-profit breeders. Vet bill are often high and lifespans often short. Also note, both breeds cope badly with high temperatures.

Edited by sandgrubber

A PBGV might work well for him. If he was happy with something slightly large(although due to her height she actually feels like a much smaller dog than my kelpie) I would have said a basset. Very cruisy dog to live with once you do that initial training and Josie really is happy to just lie on the grass all day if I'm at work.

How about a Grifffon, if he doesn't want any major grooming there is the short coated variety.

I wouldn't go for a PBGV they are very nice dogs but there coats are high maintenance unless they get clipped off.

Most small breeds won't like being left alone for long periods with no company, maybe adopting two adults could be an option.

We were looking at getting a frenchie,english bulldog or boston terrier for the low energy side of it and being able to be left inside.Bostons and frenchies are cool little dudes. Clowns and totally boss in their attitude. As puppies I'd probably crate or confined to a room until they learn not to chew everything. Very low grooming maintenance but he would need to be aware of the vetinary side and certainly get pet health insurance. They don't cope well with really low and high temps so options of keeping them warm and cool (like the room confined to being aircon or leaving the ducted on)If he's worried about pup being lonely, get a pair. They'll keep each other company for the time he's gone and the puppy stage will be much easier.
Actually, it won't. Two pups can do twice the damage of one and few trainers would ever recommend getting two pups at once.

I meant the crying at night and such. That's all.

Griffons are beeeewdifuls. I know a few people with them. Plus, you can get some brown felt and make ewok costumes for them. Hardly feminine BAHAHA. There's a famous Griffon on fb and instagram Digby Van Winkle. HE IS THE CUTEST and very well behaved.

Schipperke? They have no doggy odor, don't pick up dirty easily, and the only time I ever brush biscuit is the twice yearly coat blow. He gets a walk to the beach every day and just loves that! He's fine by himself, has never destroyed anything. The most loyal and devoted dog, plus can't be mistaken for a girly dog!

I have a smooth griff and she is high maintenance in the attention side of things, she is great by herself when we are at work and has never destroyed anything, but once we are home she is full on in your face and has to be included in everything! They are the best little dogs and are low maintenance in many ways but they do require a lot of attention to thrive.

PBGV - or the ones I 've known have been very big barkers. And I would think a Chin would be perceived as more "girly" than a Cavalier.

I'd recommend a Schipperke too. Great little dog for the job. Fits the bill just perfectly. Only problem might be the wait to get one.