Rspca $1000 Adoption Fee

lil_toe

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the dog have to have any extra surgery or vet care? Sometimes if dogs come in injured they will charge more to cover the care.

It does sound higher than usual but I guess as Haredown said, it's whatever people will pay.

Edit: can't spell tonight!

They also have its litter sister advertised for the same price

They will charge what they think they can get for it because it is so cute. People don't get hung up about it being a "crossbreed" or whatever - it is a very appealing dog.

I agree that the description is a tad ridiculous - it is a puppy, it should be in training to not develop such behaviours rather than promoting them as characteristics of the dog.

Litter brother was adopted for $1000

My link

:eek: Someone can't even spell. Gentle sole ? Its not a shoe.

I think its ridiculous & sends a message out there that cross breeding & tiny = big money.

Look even the RSPCA charge $1000 for these little dogs so get breeding them.

Sad thing too is that so many elderly people want a small dog because they are physically able to manage them better & they can't find them. Usually medium to large x breeds available so they miss out if small dogs are so costly as they can't afford them or won't pay that amount anyway for a mongrel.

Litter brother was adopted for $1000

My link

:eek: Someone can't even spell. Gentle sole ? Its not a shoe.

I think its ridiculous & sends a message out there that cross breeding & tiny = big money.

Look even the RSPCA charge $1000 for these little dogs so get breeding them.

Sad thing too is that so many elderly people want a small dog because they are physically able to manage them better & they can't find them. Usually medium to large x breeds available so they miss out if small dogs are so costly as they can't afford them or won't pay that amount anyway for a mongrel.

Of course they will if it is appealing enough - again, most people outside forums like these don't care about whether dogs are crossbreeds or "mongrels". They just see the appeal of the dog. I don't think the price puts people off adopting at all - there are plenty of small, cheaper dogs available for adoption. All rescues seem to charge maximum for the more appealing dogs and I don't blame them for that.

When we had crossbred and deadly cute pups in our rescue, we'd charge a bit more for them... but $1000 is ridiculous for a pup with some very nasty tendencies showing already.

At least we made sure ours were not resource guarders or precious about walking on wet grass... and they were only $450... *grin*

T.

You can buy a purebred Mini Foxie (or Tenterfield Terrier) for much less than that. I know what I'd be having. At least you'd know where the purebred came from.

R$PCA is big business, not a charity any longer. They are being paid to endorse those places with chooks in barns.

The rspca isn't slow to catch on, people will and clearly have paid that much.

I agree it sounds like a little shit and I wouldn't buy it, and that's the thing that needs looking at, foster carer with no clue. :(

:eek: She's a puppy. Sounds to me that she is doing what a puppy does. EXCEPT: what about putting in the story: like all dogs, I need to be taught how to behave, what my boundaries are, I'd love to be trained so I became a good canine citizen, etc etc etc.

I think the story is the big big problem. The price sounds exorbitant and, in my view, pitching to the highest bidder doesn't mean pitching to the best owner.

Sounds as though they just want to make some money.

Supply and demand - and people's motivation for buying a pound dog.

Some go to the RSPCA because they think it will be cheaper but many go because they are saving a dog and can afford to pay any price for it

Clearly the latter is what they are aiming for and my guess is they will sell at that price. They will find some suckers easily.

They will charge what they think they can get for it because it is so cute. People don't get hung up about it being a "crossbreed" or whatever - it is a very appealing dog.

I agree that the description is a tad ridiculous - it is a puppy, it should be in training to not develop such behaviours rather than promoting them as characteristics of the dog.

It's a very appealing dog sat quietly in that photo.

Fast forward 3 weeks, when same 'gentle sole' puppy has been left alone and is going thro' the crazies.

I shuddered. :mad

Edited by VizslaMomma

Its a poorly written profile. If I was the RSPCA I'd be concerned about the message that is being sent. The dogs: aggressive with possessions, prefer to be carried. Not trained. The RSPCA: lacks quality control and sells puppies prone to behavioural issues at a very, very high financial cost.

I imagine they would just drop the price if it proved to be a barrier to rehoming

I hope so :) I posted a similar comment about the shelter I support jacking their prices up a few weeks ago (can't find the link just at the moment). I Notice they seem to have put the prices back down (they went from 415 for an older dog, to 615 for cuter, younger or otherwise apparently more "valuable" dogs).

I just don't get it - I could never justify spending 1000 on a PET. It's not a question of mixed breed, rescue or any other - for me if I was forking over $1000 it would be with proven bloodlines for showing, breeding or working (or combination of above).