Hard decision, biting dog. *Updated*

Rascalmyshadow

23 minutes ago, WoofnHoof said:

Hmm maybe an allergy. If it is cortisone should settle it down but that’s a bit hard core I would have thought the vet would try antihistamines first. 

When she started with the nasal issues initially the vets kept treating it as allergies which is why she got so bad, the drugs kept masking the problem.

I honestly don't think it's allergy related (although not impossible)   due to her history, she's also not sneezing, doesn't have itchy skin or runny eyes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rascalmyshadow said:

When she started with the nasal issues initially the vets kept treating it as allergies which is why she got so bad, the drugs kept masking the problem.

I honestly don't think it's allergy related (although not impossible)   due to her history, she's also not sneezing, doesn't have itchy skin or runny eyes.

True could be something else, if it’s autoimmune the cortisone should do the trick. How long has she had the nasal issue for? (Edit: never mind I just went back to the op). Could be a deviation or malformation causing things to get blocked and infected. If the antibiotics work and it keeps recurring it might be worth saving for a scan but unless it’s a tumor it won’t necessarily need to be urgently done. 

Fingers crossed that it’s more easily fixed and life can get a little easier for everyone :) 

Edited by WoofnHoof
  • Like 3

Somewhat off topic:-

When you suffer stress and anxiety, levels of magnesium get really low [especially if it is prolonged].  I've found taking magnesium and Vitamin B complex helps a lot when I'm in high state anxiety/agitation - whole body shaking, racing heart and feeling like I am going to fall off the perch.  Takes about 30 minutes for the Mag and Vit B to kick in, but once it does I have whole body relaxation and my mental cognitive function back.  There has been quite a bit written [some by psychologists, doctors and some crackpots] about low levels of magnesium and anxiety.  it may help you?

• Like 2

Following on from Kajrin; 

My sister also has anxiety and has been told to take magnesium. (Also she was told to eliminate caffeine, and minimise refined flours/sugars in her diet for a while to see if it helped.) Maybe that can help you & in turn help your girl. :heart:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kajirin said:

Somewhat off topic:-

When you suffer stress and anxiety, levels of magnesium get really low [especially if it is prolonged].  I've found taking magnesium and Vitamin B complex helps a lot when I'm in high state anxiety/agitation - whole body shaking, racing heart and feeling like I am going to fall off the perch.  Takes about 30 minutes for the Mag and Vit B to kick in, but once it does I have whole body relaxation and my mental cognitive function back.  There has been quite a bit written [some by psychologists, doctors and some crackpots] about low levels of magnesium and anxiety.  it may help you?

Thank you is there a particular brand you use?

3 hours ago, Kajirin said:

.... and some crackpots] about low levels of magnesium and anxiety.  ....

There's no doubt mag works well across species.  Example some years ago we took on a sort of rescue pony, totally unmanageable and impossible to load onto a float without pretty much brute force.  Vet got him onto magnesium and whilst you can't expect miracles of a supplement, it did help turn him into an easier-going pony.  We still have him almost 15 years on, he's still a danger to aviation in his bad moments, but on the whole a good little fellow. 

Anitone is now my go-to supplement for all the animals including dogs and poultry (includes magnesium in its vitamin/mineral content).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rascalmyshadow said:

Thank you is there a particular brand you use?

Swisse or Cenovis - quite often find them on sale, so I grab a couple.  At the moment using swisse mag [they are quite big tablets] and cenovis vit b complex.

• Like 1

Just check with pharmacist if you're on any other meds .. magnesium is contraindicated with some meds.

Sounds like the vet visit was worth it .. if nothing else, it should help you to feel that you're maybe on the track of making Claudia feel a whole lot better.   Fingers and paws crossed.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Have to call the vet tomorrow with an update, not sure if the antibiotics are doing anything, her nose doesn't seem to be runny but she has had a couple of funny choking/breathing episodes, guess we will be giving the cortisone a try.

We have also had a couple more incidents, including going for one of our cats without any reason.

Lucy wandered into the loungeroom we were all in there watching tv, Claudia flew off the couch and went for her, chased her through the house and out the back door.

She has always been good with

all the other animals so this is another new behaviour, has me more concerned because unlike visitors the cat is not a threat.

Last weekend my dad and his wife came for a visit, they were at our house for the whole day, Claudia was fine (she usually is), on their laps getting cuddles/pats etc. then randomly she went for my dads wife when she went to get a drink, had to lock her up until they left.

What I do know is no matter what happens we won't be moving her on to another home, I know it has been suggested we don't have the appropriate environment but neither myself or the vet think it's just behavioural and is more likely stemming from her medical issues.

I can't conciously rehome a dog I know bites and I also don't want to put her through that to find out down the track she has either a nasal or brain tumour.

So at this stage I am a bit lost with the whole situation.

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

An incredibly hard decision.

You are to be commended for deciding not to rehome.  I know there are some examples where it has worked, but often it is just a delay and causes the animal more stress in the interim.

Making the decision to PTS is never easy, and is clouded by guilt.  However, from what you have described you are not taking the 'easy way out' - you have tried, but your chi is not the only one in the picture.  You also have your child, your family, the other pets and YOURSELF to consider.  Let alone what is going on inside your girl - both physically and mentally. 

Small dogs can tend to be reactive, but not usually at nothing.  So something in her mind or her body (or both) builds up until it spews out in a bite or a charge or whatever.  The unknown is how long she is dealing with it internally before you see it externally.

You need to do what you believe is right - for everyone.

Look after yourself

• Like 1

I'm so sorry for you having to deal with this , it would be nice if our animals all got along together.

Claudia is just not feeling well & can't  control herself  at these  times, it's an awful  situation  for you & your family.

I hope it is resolved soon,  for your  peace  of mind.

I hope the vet can help,  sending  good  wishes too you :kissbetter:

• Like 1

Thank you for the support, I don't have any from anyone else, as much as the dogs are part of our family their entire responsibility falls on me.

I have had a good talk with the vet, we are starting Claudia on Metacam rather than cortisone, if there is pain/inflammation that should help, if we see no change then I have been advised to prepare for the worst.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Little Gifts said:

I'm so sorry Rascal. Something is clearly wrong and her unpredictability is concerning. I hope the metacam makes a difference. We are all here for you and understand this is extremely difficult. We want the best for Claudia too. Hugs to you both.

This ^

:grouphug: 

xxxx

• Like 2

Ok I am jumping in here ... has you little one had a full thyroid panel done? ( anxiety, agression, cold etc can  all symptoms of thyroid problems as can other symptoms. ) 

Have you perhaps considered adding an adaptyl diffuser to her crate area? may help to take the edge off her anxiety. I recall  attending a lecture by Cam Day.. and one of his comments that stuck in my mind was how a dog that is suffering anxiety is unable to learn new behaviours and that this is the time for judicious use of medication. 

My heart aches for you all.. hugs 

• Like 3