Dog Biting Child

doggleworth

The accident happened because the dog had some access to the child, and really the 'barriers' were not suitable for a reactive dog that already had issues with the child. Realistically speaking how long does a 10 year old dog have left? I'm giving a maybe workable alternative so the OP doesn't have to euthanise her own dog. Putting your child first does not mean euthanising a dog in every situation though.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no right or wrong here. It's just a terrible situation. :(

Big hugs Doggleworth, life can be so unfair sometimes. In these situations I always remind myself that the darker, harder times are neccessary to provide a counterpoint, those times of joy have so much more depth and meaning when they are defined by that contrast.

I hope you are OK at this time and have lots of emotional support and people who love you to get you through this time.

But then I remember a story on a horse forum where an old dog was near a door and a kid barged through door, door hit old dog, old dog lashed out at kid and owner grabbed dog and straight to vet and PTS. Poor thing was only reacting to be surprised and hurt by a door and many agreed it was right thing to do as if dogs are not animals and are suppose to understand they cannot react ever.

That's a little bit different. I imagine OP has her plate entirely full right now, and we only know what we've read, so the management in place sounds like it's been pretty darn impressive, and more than some people with no kids/attachments/etc have in place. Some people can't even seem to keep a dog behind a fence in a yard, so kudos to you.

If OP feels like they can't trust the dog and have to be constantly on edge because of it they're going to miss out on some lovely stuff with both kid and dog, and both will pick up on this stress, I imagine.

Everyone who's said the dog won't suffer old age and strain is on a similar page to me.

Gosh, it could be worse, OP could have done what some other dropkicks do and dropped him off at a pound, or put him on gumtree as FTGH for the next person to deal with.

The accident happened because the dog had some access to the child, and really the 'barriers' were not suitable for a reactive dog that already had issues with the child. Realistically speaking how long does a 10 year old dog have left? I'm giving a maybe workable alternative so the OP doesn't have to euthanise her own dog. Putting your child first does not mean euthanising a dog in every situation though.

I recently helped an owner rehome her tiny dog that had nipped her child. It wasn't a terrible bite, more a nip, the dog was 13 yrs of age and in great health - vet checks had been done etc. There hadn't been any history of the dog biting anyone else in all her years. Taking everything into consideration, the dog would be OK to be rehomed but to only a minority of situations that had been assessed really thoroughly. The owner had the dog from puppyhood until she was 12 and then she unexpectedly had a baby. She had hoped the dog (which was a Chi mix) would accept the baby but it wasn't to be.

I had an elderly gentleman on a waiting list (no family but with plenty of support from neighbours and other people all without children) wanting a new companion (but an old dog). There were never going to be any children visiting or exposed to the dog. The deal is that if anything happens to him, she will come to me and again, she will never be exposed to children here. If my neighbour's kids come around, like some of the other dogs I've owned, she would be locked away.

I would have taken her on but she has proved to be the ideal companion for him. I don't always believe a dog should die because they have bitten a child, the whole circumstances and history have to be considered.

Sounds excellent advice Nekhbet - Im amazed at how many would discard a 10yo dog because the dog doesn't understand and isn't coping with the situation. Perhaps the OP should have sought professional help sooner but that's hindsight and sounds like they tried to prepare and since it worked with one dog guess they thought as many would that the other dog would 'come around'.

But then I remember a story on a horse forum where an old dog was near a door and a kid barged through door, door hit old dog, old dog lashed out at kid and owner grabbed dog and straight to vet and PTS. Poor thing was only reacting to be surprised and hurt by a door and many agreed it was right thing to do as if dogs are not animals and are suppose to understand they cannot react ever.

Did you miss the part where she said that they sort the advice of a professional BEFORE the child was even born??????????????? :confused: A dog should never come before a child IMO when that child is your own.

I agree with Tris , this dog didn't react, the baby didn't sneak up on the dog. It went for the baby came into the room and Bit the child repeatedly! The dog didn't try to avoid the situation like most reactive dogs. This dog can Not be trusted, next time it could be much worse if the parents are looking the other way.

The dog has had a good run a lot don't get to 10. It has live with one family it's whole life. Spend a couple of days saying goodbye to a good friend.

The alternative is risking further attacks, and putting a child in the position to be attacked and become fearful of dogs. At 9 mths old he'll probably forget this and develop a friendship with your other dog. But if you try and manage it, and it happens again when the child is 2 there will be a genuine fear of dogs where you may have to consider being a no dog family for the sake of the child feeling safe in HIS home.

I'm not advocating management, I'm saying the dog was mis-managed because the dog had been growling at the baby for months and yet it was allowed to be in the same area as the dog. That is mis-management.

I'm very sad for all involved.

thanks for the comments.

We have been working through the best action to take and I've spoken to a couple of dog rescue organisations as well as grovelling to family to see if anyone could take him, even for a few weeks, but haven't had any luck.

If I thought we could keep the two of them separate longterm then I would do it, but realistically I'm not the stay at home parent anymore, and I'd have to rely on someone else to ensure the dog was crated or in a dog run, and I don't want to point fingers but the two of them crossing paths has already happened when I was at work. I don't think it is fair for me to push that level of responsibility onto someone else. When I was at home they were kept separate but one little slip up has led to my son being bitten, and I can't guarantee it won't happen again.

Our dog has been wary of the baby since he came home from hospital. We've kept them completely separate since he growled at the baby. They are all taken for walks together etc but never left alone or even in the same room usually. This morning he was walking through to go outside from a part of the house he isn't normally in as it is gated off.

The attack was unprovoked. Our dog lunged at him and bit him more than once on the face in the time it took my husband to pull him away. It was bad enough to draw blood, narrowly missed his eye. Our child has never gotten in this dogs face and always smiles and coos when he sees any of our dogs.

Our dog has been curling his lip up at the baby for months now. This would be the first time they've crossed paths as we keep them apart. I thought separation would be enough but I'm not sure I can ever trust my dog again after this.

Firstly I think you should get confirmation from a canine behaviour expert, but IMHO this sounds like the dogs has his nose out of joint with the new family member. From the dogs perspective a new family member has come along and dislodged him from his place in the pack. Have you seen two puppies when one grabs the others nose and holds it until the first puppy submits in order to establish dominance? Could this be what happened?

Don't think for a minute you have to justify your actions to anybody. Do what's best for yourself and your baby.

IMO it would be negligent as a parent to keep a dog you know is a danger to your child in the same house together even if there are ways of separating them.

Don't think for a minute you have to justify your actions to anybody. Do what's best for yourself and your baby.

IMO it would be negligent as a parent to keep a dog you know is a danger to your child in the same house together even if there are ways of separating them.

Do whatever you need to do to keep your baby safe doggleworth. You are in my thoughts. :hug:

Do whatever you need to do to keep your baby safe doggleworth. You are in my thoughts. :hug:

Yep, same here.

Yep, same here.

Agree.

Yep, same here.

Agree.

And me...

T.

Yep, same here.

Agree.

And me...

T.

Me too :hug:

Yep, same here.

Agree.

And me...

T.

Me too :hug:

Me as well :hug: