Good Family Dog, But Also Guard Dog

bossyboo

Hi

We are moving to acreage around March! Great home but abit isolated.. I would love to get another dog but more medium /large great for the family but also good protection. Was thinking maybe a Cattle dog, but have also throught of an Airedale Terrier. Any other recommendations? Will have heaps of space, all fenced well over 2 acres.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

We are moving to acreage around March! Great home but abit isolated.. I would love to get another dog but more medium /large great for the family but also good protection. Was thinking maybe a Cattle dog, but have also throught of an Airedale Terrier. Any other recommendations? Will have heaps of space, all fenced well over 2 acres.

Rottweiler

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 4

A larger dog will be more of a deterrent than a smaller one in terms of appearance, and a darker dog more than a lighter coloured dog. Breeds traditionally seen as guard type dogs again will help with deterrent value, many of these are also great family dogs.

Depends if you just want it to look the part or actually do something, my bully looks the part, although not really big enough ,but its my cattle you have to watch.

Its something I think about too as when I retire I would like to be a bit more isolated and will be alone, ( pending someone sweeping me off my feet in the meantime) :laugh: , and I thought a rotty would be a good choice, I love the big bears, and pretty offputting I would think to a stranger.

Hi grooming isn't a problem, did think about a Rottweiler but have never had a dog of that size, do they mature fast or more slow like a lab. Was quite interested in a Ridgeback have done a little research, how are they with children and training etc? One of my good friends has only ever owned German Shepherds. The one he has now is lovely very placid and quite but looks like she is on the job.. they live on 50 acres. But the 1 he had previously was very flighty and quite aggressive usually with horses, cows other dogs etc..He got him as a pup from a registered breeder but had heaps of trouble with him, I think they ended up putting him down. Any Ridgeback breeders in Qld that anyone could recommend would be great you can PM me. I also want something that will protect if need be, looking the part is a bonus.

It doesn't matter what breed you get if you just want a deterrent. If the dog is bred correctly with temperament and health in mind you'll get what you're after. It's pretty pointless reading through breed standards to get a measure of the temperament of a future pup. Most dogs nowadays are just watered down versions of their predecessors. The breeding (temperament of the parents and grandparents) is much more important than the breed. A big black dog would do the trick, as would anything large that barks.

Another vote for a Rottie... a female one would be perfect... most of the males I've owned have been much sookier than the girls when it came to alerting to strangers about. My last male used to actually hide when strangers came to the door... lol!

T.

I once read that burglars do not like Aussie Terriers.

The dogs will not shut up about strangers, and they will bite, and it does hurt. But they're probably too small to inflict a fatal bite on an adult. And the burglar will be too embarrassed to fess up what bit him.

But serious burglars - bait the dogs - especially the big scary ones.

Cattle dogs are great guard dogs. But not all of them are great family dogs. Depends on how well you train the dog and the children. Cattle dogs are also excellent door to door sales people repellants. There's a limit to how long a man will try to get your electricity account, while there is a dog lunging and barking her head off him so I can't hear what he is saying.

I wonder why I allow her to do that ;)

+1 for the big, black dog -with good temperament- idea.

Apparently people find black dogs scarier.

Also the big, black ones hardest to rehome, so should have a good choice, if you go for pound dog/ rescue.

Anything like an Airedale would get lots of burs etc. in their coat.

My poodles were clipped very short, but still had that problem on a friend's property when left to run wild.

I'd go for a Rottweiler, beautiful dogs (from a recommended, registered breeder who does all the proper health testing) and yes, a female. We had one many years ago, would (occasionally) scare the daylights out of people going past our place with a deep bark and the appearance of her big fat head at the top of our fence. :laugh: But she was very loyal, very family orientated and a big snuggle bum. I felt no fear walking her at night either.

There's a big difference between a watch dog and a guard dog. A guard dog is trained to attack on command and must only be trained by an experienced professional.

A watch dog will alert and bark like mad when an intruder comes on to the property but they are not personal protection dogs.

From reading the posts I think what this thread is about is a watch dog.