My Heart Dog Is Dying

Sammyelle

What will I do without the light of my life? She is my best friend, my constant companion, my confidante, my heart.

My beautiful 4 year old Australian Shepherd "Ice" has been diagnosed with Chronic Renal Failure. I am doing everything I can to help her, but I can already see she is declining in health and my time with her is coming to an end.

I honestly don't know how I will survive without her, I have never had a connection and a bond with anyone or any animal like the one I share with her.

I have had nightmares in the past at just the thought of ever losing her, but the reality is so much worse then anything I could have ever imagined.

post-32869-0-67227300-1389746786_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sammyelle

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sammyelle, how heartbreaking for you.

Try to be kind to yourself during the time, do what you need to do. Have no regrets when the time comes, spoil her every day, and take lots of photo's and videos to help you remember her in the months and years to come. I found it helpful when I lost Tip (different, as it was sudden) to write down every memory I could think of. I cried when I remembered something new, but I smiled too, and the long forgotten memories I dredged up surprised me.

Perhaps consider a special photoshoot, in time time I found I appreciated this. The worst nightmare I have is that I will forget him, and I am determined that will not happen.

Cry, rant, scream, anything that helps really, this shock and grief are as real and valid as any grief you will have in your life. I also found Pet grief websites helped me a lot, as I realised I was not "being stoopid" or that she is "just a dog".(That comment hurt more than anything else when an insensitive family member told me that, and that "you are over it now aren't you?"

Post here on DOL as often as you need to, we here understand the feelings you are having now more than almost anyone else.

Hugs to you

Di

Oh no Sammyelle... :cry:

Ever so sorry. Such truly heartbreaking news :hug: Makes me wonder at times life can be so darn cruel.

She will never be gone as she will be always etched in your memory & she will always be in your heart forever.

Take care & thoughts are with you at this extremely difficult.

Edited by BC Crazy

Oh my heart goes out to you, so sorry to hear about your girl. :cry: I agree with Tikira about the photoshoot, I did it with my previous Rottie who had cancer and it was lovely to look back on the beautiful photos to remember her by after she died. We also did one of those DIY pawprint moulds and have it sitting on the mantelpiece along with a lock of her fur, a great comfort to have.

Something else a friend told me to try was to just sit down with you and your dog and just tell her how much you love her and how much she means to you, just tell her everything in your heart that comes naturally, cry, grieve, hug her, anything - it sounds silly but I tried it and you do feel better afterwards, even if you just imagine she understood every word.

I can only imagine your anguish, my current Aussie Shepherd girl is also my heart dog, I can barely imagine how devastated I would be if anything were to happen to her, they are such special dogs. Your pain must be unbearable. You and Ice are in my thoughts. She is a beautiful girl and is very lucky to have you who loves her so much. :hug:

Edited by silentchild

I am so sorry you are faced with this Sammyelle. Ice is a beautiful dog and way too young for you to be saying goodbye. Enjoy her while she's still with you and don't grieve for her while she is still here, if possible. Enjoy EVERY minute you have left and then cry all you need to afterwards.

Big hugs to you and your gorgeous girl.

:cry::( What a sad situation. It's bad whenever, but worse with a young dog. I second the advice you've got from others - love her lots, be kind to yourself - and be grateful when the time comes that you can do the final kindness for her. I would say - think about what you wantto do with her when she's gone - burial or cremation. I've found it helps to know this ahead of time.

You could think of starting to do a scrapbook of memories now - it could be part of your special time with her - telling her the story of each photo or memento. It will hurt - and like most of us, you will tear up in the future thinking of her when you read similar posts - but it's what us crazy dog people just have to get through. DOL is an amazingly supportive community for grieving dog people. :grouphug:

There is nothing I can say to make what your going through any easier but I'm sorry it's happening.

I lost my heart boy (cat)of almost 14 years mid last year I am still grieving. If I was to have the time again I would keep a daily diary, just a few lines, and I would also take a daily photo.

Do as many fun things as you can together and keep lots of mementos, most of all enjoy your time you have.

I'm so sorry to read about what you are going through, especially with your dog being so young. I can only second what has already been said - be kind to yourself, treasure the time left and create as many happy memories as you can. I lost my heart girl 7 years ago, at the time it hit me as hard as losing a human family member, but now (although I still miss her terribly) I can look back and smile when I think of the happy memories.

What will I do without the light of my life? She is my best friend, my constant companion, my confidante, my heart.

My beautiful 4 year old Australian Shepherd "Ice" has been diagnosed with Chronic Renal Failure. I am doing everything I can to help her, but I can already see she is declining in health and my time with her is coming to an end.

I honestly don't know how I will survive without her, I have never had a connection and a bond with anyone or any animal like the one I share with her.

I have had nightmares in the past at just the thought of ever losing her, but the reality is so much worse then anything I could have ever imagined.

I'm sorry to hear this and will pray fort a little miracle for her. I don't wish to get your hopes up but one of my Labs had renal failure and recovered after some time in hospital. Maybe she wasn't as bad, I will never know; but I will hope for you that Ice may get better. :heart:

Edited by LabTested