What Time Do You Feed Your Dogs?

flame ryder

I normally feed my dogs their main meal in the morning. I am thinking of changing it till evening. Reason being I am sick of cleaning up poos in the morning before work...yuck!! They don't do a great amount but what they do do they manage to step in and spread around their enclosure/kennel area, themselves (sometimes) and their bedding. Starting today I am going to trial feeding them around 7pm (after we have had our tea). The best outcome I could hope for is no poos at all during the night...hmmm I am ever hopeful but time will tell. They are in their kennel/run from about 11pm at night till 8am in the morning. Their diet consists of good quality dry food, raw mince and chicken. What times do others feed their dogs?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest donatella

I used to feed mine in the evening but they would want to crap at 5am so have changed to main meal first thing when i get up at 6.30am ish and hopefully they get it out of their system before I leave at 8.30am lo

We feed all ours according to Tempeh's strict schedule (or she is sure she will die from starvation). 7.30am and 5.30pm. I just split half and half. There is also a treat at around 11pm as this seems to stop Temp from getting vomitty before she has her brekkie. I'd much rather pick up poo than clean up a bile vom bom.

Seems like most of you are feeding twice daily. I only feed once...oh dear my bad. I used to feed my young one twice a day but he is 6 months now, I think he should be ok with just the one feed and a snack of chicken wings mid afternoon. Also another reason I decided to change feed time was after reading the bloat topic. I have high risk breeds. Often we take them out walking during the day, but of course never at night, so the risk of bloat should be less.

One feed per day at about 2 - 2.30pm.

My son when he was at school used to fed the dogs when he came home about 3.30pm and when he left home and I retired a few years later I continued that. The dogs remind me about 23.5 hours after their last feed that it is time to feed again so that feeding time came back to about 2ish. I find this gives them time to go to the toilet before they come inside of an evening and it gets it is convenient for me.

Yep same here - 7.30 am they get a chicken necks or wings snack, then usually around 6.30 - 7.00 they get their main meal - or failing that when I get home!!! And no they're not starving although they think they are!

Almost exclusively raw feeding here.

~8am on weekdays, some AM time on weekends if he looks hungry (he won't eat on weekends because we are in the house and he wants to be with us)

7-8:30pm in the evenings, but usually 8pm

In the evening when the puppy dog eyes go from cute to annoying :p

No toilet issues here, they go out to toilet at 7am, 8.30am and stay out all day, about an hour after we get home from work, after their dinner and then just before bed. I'm pretty sure they save the poops for during the day as they generally only wee during the short toilet breaks.