What breed is suitable for older people ?

Christina77

7 minutes ago, Deeds said:

Judging by the reported dog attacks lately i.e. Centennial Park & Central Coast etc etc  the idiots & stupidity are everywhere.  And lets not mention their driving habits.  Doing u turns on double yellow lines, barging in to take your right of way , not indicating,  etc etc.  The sense of entitlement is overwhelming.  I forgot parking in No Standing Zones and obscuring visibility.  

@PowerlegsThis must sound familiar to you   I'm in IWC.

Yep! :laugh: IWC.

My chosen breed is border collies, but if ever I could no longer have a BC, my choice would be a Papillion.  I couldn't have one living here on the farm, as I would be worried of him/her being taken by a wedge tailed eagle or even just a chicken hawk .  I didn't know that they didn't have an undercoat....that's interesting !! 

I think someone said above that Papillons remind them of being like a mini Border Collie. I can see that a bit with their ears sticking up and their markings but more hair. They only weigh 3 kgs, super small. 

• Like 2

Thank you everyone , I think I have my work cut out for me . Lots more research to do  including the good suggestions about the Retirement Homes pet policies. The one I looked at just said we welcome pets as they are part of the family . However there is probably more to it then that which I need to look into .

Will also consider the weather up here , Frenchie's are popular but not suited to the hot weather up here and Dashies are in huge numbers , it's seriously like the 'in' dog here with young well to do families , don't ask me why :laugh: 

I would love a Lab but they are probably to big for retirement villages , but I will check that out .

I still miss my girl so much , I've been saying that if a dog should cross my path that's the only time I know I will get one and so far nothing . Maybe she was just the one and only  . ACD's are hard to replace :heart:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Christina77 said:

Love them 

I was driving going to the supermarket yesterday morning and saw this big guy dressed in black with his hoodie up and trotting along beside him on its pink lead was a proud-as-punch Shih tzu :laugh:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, asal said:

I suspect this breed is so smart they will train you if you dont realise it.

Absolutely! My girl taps my knee with her paw as a warning she is about to sit on my lap, so I better get comfy! Carbon copy of her Mum, right down to the markings. Bouncy, licky and over the top happy like her auntie. 

I wish i knew how to embed videos, I saw a super cute one of a Papillion and Border Collie doing a trick show over the weekend. Very cute. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, persephone said:

paps are super cool :) they are a  small 'working dog' at heart and can enjoy agility and all sorts of things !! 

That would have been Kelly Gill with her lovely border collies & Alex, the Pap at the Dog Lovers Show.  A Google of The Wonderdogs will bring up lots of videos of Kelly & Alex

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Christina77 said:

Thank you everyone , I think I have my work cut out for me . Lots more research to do  including the good suggestions about the Retirement Homes pet policies. The one I looked at just said we welcome pets as they are part of the family . However there is probably more to it then that which I need to look into .

Will also consider the weather up here , Frenchie's are popular but not suited to the hot weather up here and Dashies are in huge numbers , it's seriously like the 'in' dog here with young well to do families , don't ask me why :laugh: 

I would love a Lab but they are probably to big for retirement villages , but I will check that out .

I still miss my girl so much , I've been saying that if a dog should cross my path that's the only time I know I will get one and so far nothing . Maybe she was just the one and only  . ACD's are hard to replace :heart:

australia's best kept secret. but then maybe that is good, if you dont know what your doing the acd trains you instead

• Like 1

Can see where your coming from , i like large dogs  , but i did get a acd i rescued it from someone who was going to put it down , absolutly marvelous pefect dog ,, but very energetic , i gave him to my son who wanted a dog for the kids , because i knew he was a perfect familly dog and  was great with the kids ,,  I did get  another dog i got a shitzu cross maltese , i think , it is  little white fluffy thing , perfect for any elderly person he's  more a lap dog , yet with the terrier in him he  does'nt mind being left alone , and never barks , USUALLY ,, but when he does bark such has right at this moment , i could bet my house there is someone there , he does suffer from ear infections A LOT , OVERALL A GOOD DOG FOR AN ELDERLY PERSON ,,  , i think another good dog because there tuff , hardy , and playful with a character of there own is definetly the AUSSIE TERRIER  . if i were to get another dog ,  the only small dog i would get is an aussie terrier other than that  i would get another large dog ,,   i would never own one but has aprevious poster stated , greyhounds are good for the elderly ,,    my freinds on a caravan park we go to have one , it just lies all day long on a matress outside , never moves you would think its dead ,, but its super freindly and easy for them to handle  , because its absolutly no work whats soever ,,  ,

One thing about mine is i don't know what i'm going to get   it varies  al the time , we have an housboat , when we go on the river ,  forget to shut the gate  which is easy to do because he's so quiet ,  and then you just don't know ,  for  hours he will just lay there or be constantly at y7our feet won't leave my side ,  then you look around and he's gone , stuck his nose to the greound and  just done what terriers do , his recall is non existant ,    i have to be next to him  for him to follow me  ,   but lucky he loves his lead , so if i shake the lead and call him he comes back running to get on the lead , sounds like someone like him would be perfect for you

What about a Basenji? I've only ever met one. He was great. Always on top of the garden furniture though. Not too small but not too big either. Didnt have a small dog personality. No real bark. Low shedding. Would tolerate your weather too. Not sure about the cats though. 

11 hours ago, sheena said:

That would have been Kelly Gill with her lovely border collies & Alex, the Pap at the Dog Lovers Show.  A Google of The Wonderdogs will bring up lots of videos of Kelly & Alex

Yep that was them! Very cute doing the tricks. 

Edited by WanaHavanese

On 13/08/2022 at 7:46 PM, SchnauzerMax said:

Some retirement villages have a blanket ban on pets, not even a goldfish is allowed. 

Another issue for elderly owners is what arrangements are there for looking after the dog if you suddenly had to spend unplanned time in hospital.

On 17/08/2022 at 1:35 PM, Amazetl said:

What about something like a Westie? Are they ok for elderly? 

I've always been a lover of the westies ,, never owned one but like the look of them ,, On a couple of occasions  i've made enquires about them and then not bothered , i've been told they have health issuse's , now i could be wrong on that  no doubt westie owners on here will put me right on that ,, but being told that really did sway me not to get one ... If its correct  , i think an elderly person   would more likely be on a pension , and if thats the case , a dog  thats  contuinually at the vet  or needs speciel medication is going to be a big drain financially , that should be took into account .

My little white fluffy dog looks a bit like a westie , sometimes , others he looks like  a maltese ,  basicly he's just a short stumpy lovable little thing ,, BUT he costs me a lot of money , constant ear infections , that just never seem to clear up for long  ,,  and getting worse , now there back every 3-4 weeks ,  , believe westies have skin problems , but like i say i could be wrong its only what i've been told ,,  think a better option would be a  aussie terrier i know for a fact just like the kelpie and the blue heeler , there a very sturdy robust little dog , ,  Aussie made for Aussie conditions  LOL

On 14/08/2022 at 9:49 PM, WanaHavanese said:

Absolutely! My girl taps my knee with her paw as a warning she is about to sit on my lap, so I better get comfy! Carbon copy of her Mum, right down to the markings. Bouncy, licky and over the top happy like her auntie. 

I wish i knew how to embed videos, I saw a super cute one of a Papillion and Border Collie doing a trick show over the weekend. Very cute. 

Thatwould have been part of Kelly Gill's Wonderdogs performances as the Doglovers Show in Sydney.   The Papillon is Alex.  Not sure which of =fthe BCs it would have been.   There could be some video on The Wonderdogs Facebook page.