Women Injured And Animals Killed In Overnight Fires (caboolture Qld)

Boronia

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Latest update from ABC news: LINK

12 dogs killed in house fire

At least 14 dogs have died and a woman has been badly burnt in a house fire near Caboolture, north of Brisbane.

More than 30 dogs were kennelled at the low-set timber home, which was extensively damaged by the blaze early this morning.

The woman in her 60s, who is believed to be a dog breeder, is being treated in hospital for second-degree burns to her upper body. The woman sustained the injuries trying to save the dogs.

The RSPCA says the surviving 14 dogs and three puppies will be cared for by a friend of the owner.

"The dogs include cocker spaniels, cavalier king charles spaniels and boxers," it said in a statement.

RSPCA Queensland spokesman Michael Beatty said it seemed most of the dogs had been living inside the Ellwood Drive property and they appeared to be in good condition.

Mr Beatty says the dogs' owner is highly regarded as a breeder.

"Obviously she was very distressed," he said.

"From what the fire brigade told us she ran back into the house to try and rescue the dogs inside but unfortunately 14 dogs and puppies actually died in the fire."

Mr Beatty says the surviving dogs and puppies are doing well after their ordeal.

"The dogs that survived are all in good condition. They initially suffered from smoke inhalation but now they're all OK," he said.

"There are 14 dogs that we had plus the three puppies and they are being picked up by a friend of the family who has a kennel up near Kingaroy and they'll be taking them up there this afternoon."

I must say I'm really happy they put the bolded part in the article.

I know it's petty but it annoys me on that video that they're saying the animals will be cared for by the RSPCA.

Channel 9 Brisbane News Office are now aware that MDBA Pacers is caring for the animals and is involved in support for Jed.

I hope THAT is ok, Steve ....

I don't mean to veer away from the tragedy of what has occurred to Jed and her family, and I am here hoping to hear news of an improvement in her condition soon. But I think she would be pleased to know that credit might be given where it is due, and that is to the MDBA Pacers. Channel Nine News person seemed quite interested.

Edited by Erny

There was a gold cocker in all that footage, however I do not know if Jed had more than just Magnus or not?

I saw that too, but the dog in the footage looked young. I believe Magnus is around 10? I would expect him to have some grey on his muzzle etc. Although the RSPCA must have seen/held Magnus at one point if they know the dog got away.

Oh my God! ;)

Please pull through Jed! :confused: Your wisdom is so very needed in the dog world! So many times you have been like this amazing voice of reason shining up out of the murky depths. You are needed and loved. :):(

RIP beloved 4 legged ones :(

What a tragic day :)

Couldn't have said it any better dyzney and Aller xxxxxxxx

Jed is a guru in my eyes and the dog world wouldn't be the same without her :( :(

Please pull through Jed ;) :D :)

Have spoken to guss, she is away but has given me a description of Magnus, he is a black cocker, mid aged?- she wasn't sure.

Have also spoken to a friend who works at both Woodford and Wamuran vet clinics, her parents live nearby and will do a door knock this evening. I will meet her Mum in the morning to see what streets to need to be covered. The vet clinic is also aware of Magnus in case he is found.

Will deliver feed to the ponies as needed. :confused:

Steve/Julie...is there someway MDBA PACERS can have an DOL-online auction?.. where DOLers can put up some merchandise for other DOLers to bid on.

I am sure that many of us would like to donate something and may be having difficulty in giving a monetary donation and who have dog-stuff that is longer need and is still in good condition that we would donate--the money to be put into MDBA PACERS bank account.

Is this possible?

Another idea is to contact Oztion Auctions and see if they would help in creating a MDBA PACERS auction.

So shocked to hear this is Jed. If I can help with the dogs/sausage sizzle/whatever, do let me know. I am on the northside of Brisbane, so 1/2 hour away. Jed certainly has my respect and admiration, and her stories and words of wisdom have always been inspiring and right on the money. Get well soon Jed.

Have spoken to guss, she is away but has given me a description of Magnus, he is a black cocker, mid aged?- she wasn't sure.

Have also spoken to a friend who works at both Woodford and Wamuran vet clinics, her parents live nearby and will do a door knock this evening. I will meet her Mum in the morning to see what streets to need to be covered. The vet clinic is also aware of Magnus in case he is found.

I know you're just passing on what you've been told but the photo that Jed posted in the Cocker thread was of a gold Cocker - can anyone confirm colouring either way please?

Great work with the ponies, Hesa, and the ensuing search for Magnus :(

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Do you want a hand door knocking - I am about to get off work and can drive straight up there!