Spine Suddenly Unstable :(

Kirislin

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here she is at 10 years old flying down the straight at Healesville greyhound track. My little Pocket Rocket on the far right.

Beating her daughter Feather

What a wonderful life she has led - a Whippety life to the full :D Take strength from your memories, Kirislin, she will let you know when life is not fun anymore.

thankyou all, you're a big help to me.

I've got her at home for now. The xrays look pretty awful of her neck and spine. Brett the vet just put them up on the light board and he didn't need to say anything, I could immediately see the problem areas and they look nasty. At his suggestion though, I've taken her home with Meloxicam to try for about 4 days. If she's still uncomfortable we're going to try Tramal but if she cannot get relief with that I wont make her endure the pain.

Try acupuncture 3 times a week to start with. I kept a BC going for about 3 extra years with acupuncture. The dog chiro used to shake his head in wonder at how she could still walk with what he could feel in her spine but she got around fine. After I had her put down he said he would have loved to have had her spine to study. She started the acupuncture 3 times a week, then we gradually reduced it until she was only getting done once every few weeks. As she slowed down I would take her back and she would bounce out of the treatment obviously feeling so much better. She didn't need Metacam until her last year and I only gave her wings when she had a stroke at nearly 15.

So very sorry to catch up on DOL and read this.

I fully agree with getting the xrays done. You need to know what you are facing to the best of your ability and not surmise.

I hope she gets good pain relief and yes acupuncture can do amazing things.

All the very best from me and my Whippets to you and yours. The kids send dobby noses.