Old Age Incontinence Or Something More Sinister?

My boxhead peed inside today. He has once or twice marked indoors but this was just him standing around and peeing (no leg cocking)

This is odd for him. I then started thinking about several recent things that I had dismissed.

He has been panting a bit more, he has been drinking a bit more and he is peeing outdoors a bit more. I assumed it was because it's been hot lately and it's normal but now I'm not so sure... I forget that my lil man is actually nearly 11. Is this an old man thing? Or something more scary?

I'm home for the next couple of days so I'll be watching him a bit in case it looks like vet. Right now I can't tell if it's the weather or he is under the weather? :o

Might be something like Cushings, they tend to drink and wee a lot more.

There's a simple urine test that can indicate Cushings now, my vet did this on my old Maltese last year.

Another old male Chi cross that is being fostered by a lady I've been in touch with, has also got urinary incontinence - I put a thread on here about it.

He's just had an ultrasound (checking for kidney stones) and other tests that ruled out anything bad so vet has put him on Propalin.

Could be something simple, best to get it checked though - he's the right age for these problems to start.

Oh god... My partner mentioned that today when he let them out to go potter(about), Wylies front legs seemed shakey. But after he wandered about it seemed ok. I just let them out for a run about and his front legs are a little bit shakey. Apparently they were worse!

Vet methinks....

Edited by cannibalgoldfish

Fingers crossed it's nothing to worry about and you'll hopefully feel better after chatting to the vet. Horrible seeing out dogs get old .... My Westie cross has had Cushings for nearly 4 years. The medication has been amazing, he's done incredibly well. One of the Cushings symptoms is muscle/ligament related, mine has had both cruciates with issues over the period. Perhaps that is causing the wobbly walking.

Keep us posted and good luck!

No,it is good in a way that it was so quick. He was running around like a nutter with his teddy the night before then bamn. Went down really fast. Vet said there was nothing we could have done and it wasn't something that would be easily picked up until it got to the end stages. I hope this is true and he wasn't just making me feel better. :(

No,it is good in a way that it was so quick. He was running around like a nutter with his teddy the night before then bamn. Went down really fast. Vet said there was nothing we could have done and it wasn't something that would be easily picked up until it got to the end stages. I hope this is true and he wasn't just making me feel better. :(

It sounds as though the vet wasn't just trying to make you feel better. Some horrible things can become apparent really fast. Never sure whether this is better or worse - probably worse for the humans, but better for the dog. :cry: So sorry for your loss - and especially at this time of year. He looks as though he was a lovely happy boy.

So very sorry to hear.

Any treatment would have been pallative.

Hugs to you CGF

:grouphug: