At The Emergency Vet

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a nightmare for you. I had 2 pups get into a potted plant and eat potting mix and fertilizer about 3 months ago. The fertilizer was full of nasties and my 2 were at the vets on a drip for a week. It completely stripped their intestines and the amount blood they passed was terrifying. Was touch and go with both dogs but both survived and 3 months later they are both going great. It's amazing what dogs can live through and how quickly they recover.

Hope your 2 dogs come through this with flying colors.

The boys are still doing well, but I won't get blood test results until tomorrow. So until then, it looks like they're doing ok, but I won't know. If the results show anything abnormal I'll have to keep them at the vet longer :(

Fingers crossed for clear tests tomorrow and being allowed to bring my babies home. Keep your medicine securely locked up people. I'm pretty much going through my own personal version of hell right now, I don't want anyone joining me here :(

If they seem OK why cant you take them home and then if they show signs of sickness, or if the bloods come back bad take them back then?

IF they go down hill, it can happen fast....

havent stopped thinking of you guys, please keep us updated

If they seem OK why cant you take them home and then if they show signs of sickness, or if the bloods come back bad take them back then?

Presuming (hoping!) they are still on IV Fluids.

IF they go down hill, it can happen fast....

havent stopped thinking of you guys, please keep us updated

Yep, they're still on IV fluids until blood results prove that they can be taken off them.

They seem fine, but that's with constant care, if there is something wrong that's not yet determined, they could easily crash very fast. :(

1344147068[/url]' post='5920463']

What type of painkillers were they?

I know someone else who had a puppy eat a whole packet of Voltarin and survived. It did strip the lining of the gut and she was very ill but recovered eventually with no after affects.

Damage to the gut lining may potentially lead to a loss of protein through the intestine (aka protein losing enteropathy). The owner may want to get a full blood panel done at least every year to be sure. Unfortunately, the fecal API test, which is a non-invasive test done on a poo sample, isn't available in Australia and a definitive diagnosis has to be done via biopsy.

She is 13 now and apart from arthritis from tigger leaping every day she is in excellent health. We did quite a few blood panels with a new vet - never went back to the old vet.