Spine Suddenly Unstable :(

Kirislin

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think in this situation I would explore further.

My first border collie did have a sudden onset spine issue. He basically couldn't walk overnight with no indication prior that anything was wrong. But he had also stopped eating that week and was nearly 16yo. I didn't do any tests as I knew it was his time to go.

I think you've done the right thing re the x-rays - if you don't know what's wrong, you'd always be wondering if you did the right thing, and it will be hard enough to let her go without second guessing yourself. I'm not sure what to hope for, but I'm thinking of you...

I agree. K, your beautiful Kibah is very special to many of us - I remember her thread about her eye and she came through that.

Everyone at Mooch City is thinking of you and Kibah and the emotional pain you are in at this time.

:heart::heart:

X-rays will at least give you difinitive proof of what you are up against... making ANY decisions will be easier once you know exactly what is going on...

Hugs again to you and Kibah...

T.

Yes this and what everyone else has said.

Much love to both of you.

You really need to be informed to make any decision. You will live with it for a long time, and if you know it was the right decision, it will rest easier with you -- no matter what that decision is. I would do exactly the same.

Good luck with it, and my best wishes for a happy outcome.

thankyou all, you're a big help to me.

I've got her at home for now. The xrays look pretty awful of her neck and spine. Brett the vet just put them up on the light board and he didn't need to say anything, I could immediately see the problem areas and they look nasty. At his suggestion though, I've taken her home with Meloxicam to try for about 4 days. If she's still uncomfortable we're going to try Tramal but if she cannot get relief with that I wont make her endure the pain.

I bought a roast chicken from Coles when I thought she'd be put down today, the plan was to be stuffing her face with chicken when he injected her but since she's got a bit of a reprieve I fed it to her anyway. The other dogs got their normal dinner but Kibie got a chicken leg with all the yummy skin. I'm going to spoil her rotten for the time she has left.